Warwick Thumb bolt-on 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Optimus Prime, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Ok, I want you to tell me everything about your own personal experiences from this bass. Please?
  2. midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    I play a Warwick Thumb 4 Bolt-On. I love the feel of it and the way it plays. Use a wide Levys strap with it and the neck dive should be negligible. At first the neck wood felt funny to me being used to a finished neck but after this thing got worn in, it is great.

The sound is clean and cuts through any mix. You do need to run the bass EQ on your amp a bit higher than for a Fender as an example. I have been toying with the idea of changing the pick-ups and preamp to Bartolini, but have not so yet.

I also have a Fender Sting bass, and a Reverend Rumblfish. I keep going back to the Warwick. It tends to get heavy by the end of a gig.

The concave back fits my belly real nice. The bass sits closer to the body because of it.

Tuners are great quality. Stays in tune very well.

Get the natural finish not the painted finish. I was told that the natural finish has a better sound. Just what I was told. Besides it looks nicer.

You either love it or hate it. Play one before you decide.
  3. midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    I forgot to tell you. My Warwick is a 1999.

I play through a SWR Grand Prix preamp into a QSC PLX 1202 power amp into a Bergantino 3x10 cabinet. It has great sound and punch.
  4. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey brah, I got one and I love it. Gets that Warwick (almost fretless-like) growl, really punchy and cutting. Neck feels awesome, though it can get sticky from time to time - although the manual says it should get enough palm grease, I find that it works better for me if I use some lemon oil in addition to the beeswax.

Also - the neck dive. Get a nice wide strap...leather is best, but expensive - I have a (neotech?? :confused: ) strap with that mouse-pad foamy neoprene stuff, and it works fine.

One other minor complaint: My bass was one of the last built w/ recessed straplocks, and the angle that the recessed locks put on the upper horn's straplock is very heavy - every 4 months or so you'll have to get a new straplock, because the balls that hold it in place wear down.

But hey man - other than that, it's fantastic! Highly recommended - I went to the store looking to buy the neck thru, but I felt the bolt had more growl and felt more solid, even though I'm a fan of neck thrus (I have a neck thru Spector 4 that I LOVE).

Hope this helps. :D
  5. Cool, Nice name Opt' Prime. I thought I was the only Transformers fan left!
    The Thumb bass I was as heavy as a moose. It sounded great and punchy but the weight made it not worth it.
  6. i had a thumbo 37th anniv ed bass made for guitar center. it had a bubinga pomele top half on the body and an ovangkol back with a strip of maple in between. the board was ebony. it had mec pus and the great 2 band 9volt electronics. i put a set of Ernie Ball super slinky, light gage strings on it and that thing fargin rawcked!! i much prefer the 2 band eq models of the different thumbs ive played. the neck dive isnt bad if you wear a thick strap, and of leather is great cause its grabby against your t shirt. the bass really sang. it sounded almost like a piano. the best settings ive found w/ the 2 band jj setup is all controls full right. what a funk machine!
    i also have an 86 thumb w/ emg pus. it is the &$#@s. i love it. but having had both id buy a thumbo again in a minute, they stack up and cut well thru the mix, .........greeeaaaaaattttttttttt sound, growls like the king of the jungle. i usually play vintage jazzes, ive got a stingbass, a 62 rip, an am std jazz, and some other basses, mostly jazzes. the fenders a great, i love them dearly.........but let me say i find the warwicks inspiring...