Warwick Thumb Bolt-on 5 STring - Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Im going to get a 5 string bass and i was wondering what you all thought about the one mentioned in the topic.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say so. I really like the Warwick Thumb Bolt ons. They have the Warwick "Cut" plus some extra punch from the bolt on. I'd say go for it. I was seriously considering one about six monthes ago (then was gonna buy amp...instead got this confounded computer...oh well:))

My only beef: the MEC pups aren't that great. If I were me, I'd switch them for something else. They're too...well, Too something. I'm just not partial. Though you might be. In which case the prior statement was useless.

In any case, I'd say go for it!
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've had mine 4 years and love it.
    I happen to like the sound of the stock pick ups.
    Just my opinion.
  4. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had my Thumb Bolt On 5 since November 2000.I've played the Neck Through and although it too is a very good instrument and a thing of beauty,I preferred the sound of the Bolt On,maybe because all the cool bass sounds I heard when I was a kid were done on bolt on instruments.Naysayers will speak of neck dive and discomfort while seated due to the short horn on the body,but one thing the Thumb has is a unique sound.A wallflower it isn't.So I live with the idiosyncrosies and dig that sound.
  5. Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I was playing around at Guitar Center, and i loved the Stingray 5. SO I ended up buying it.
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    not bad! :)
  7. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....I've owned mine for about 2 years now...

The only complaint I have is the weight.......this is one solid piece-o-lumber !!! , .... and it is significantly beefier than any other bass I have played !!

......someone else had made mention of the stock p/up's...and their sound......well...it is that classic warwick sound...with the 'G' string a bit 'honky' or midrangy if you would.....but it does have character and does grow on you....The 'B' is very solid , with good authority.

All in all.....I like the Thumb5 bolt....and as my only 5 right now, will probably keep it for a while.