Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Bolt-on versus Warwick Streamer LX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoli, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Hy!

I'm a Warwick freak and I would like to buy a 6-stringer. I have two favourite models: Thumb Bolt-on and Streamer LX.

My questions to the Warwick owners are:

1 - Which one should I buy and why?
    2 - Which are the pro and the contra arguments?

Thanks,
    Zoli

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've owned both of the basses you're thinking about and here's some of my experiences with them.

Thumb B.O. 6 - VERY neck heavy and I found it very uncomfortable to play for any length of time. I did like the tone but after owning it for a while, I got very tired of the poor balance of the bass. Enjoyed the great tone! It did have the classic Warwick "growl" and was a very punchy bass.

Streamer LX 6 - Much more comfortable and better ballance with the longer upper horn. A very heavy instrument though. Solid Maple body and big Wenge neck made for one heavy bass! Different tone than the thumb, not as aggressive but a little more even sound.

Both of my Warwicks had the Basslines pick-ups, Wenge necks and the Thumb has a Wenge fingerboard and the Streamer had an Ebony board.

If I were going to buy one again it would definitely be the Streamer. I just found the Thumb way too uncomfortable and almost difficult to play.

Just my experiences! Good luck with your choice.

3. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Thumb b/o con is that it is quite neck heavy thus making playbility inferior to the LX. The other con ist that you can get the Thumb only in ovangkol natural finsih whereas the lx can be ordered in different colours and high gloss or oil and wax. The body of the lx is much more comfortable. I had 2 Thumbs that I got rid of quite quickly, didn't like the feel at all. On the other hand the lx (I have the broad neck version) has a great,full and musical sound, much more versatile than the Thumb.
    Are you going for the broad neck version?

4. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Matt,

Thanks for your help.

Now I play a Corvette Double BUck which has 4 kg. The Thumb Bolt-on 6 has 4,1 kg and the Streamer LX 6 4,1 kg, too. As I see, the weight shouldn't be a problem, as the 4kg Corvette Double Buck is OK for me.

What about their sounds?

HTML:
    I got very tired of the poor balance of the bass.
    What do you mean?

5. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Although I'm not Matt:

The balance of the Thumb ist poor, meaning neck heavy. I'll need your fingering hand to hold up the neck.

6. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Caruso,

Yes, I'm interested in the broad neck version.

=============================================

As I saw on the pictures, the Thumb Bolt-on seems to permit to the player to reach the 24th fret [2nd octave] much easier than the Streamer LX.

What do you think about this?

7. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Yes, this is true. Up to the 17th fret the playability of the LX ist great, higher can cause some trouble even more if you have small hands, as the neck measures 83 mm at the last fret (5 string version).

Sound: I always found the Thumb sound too compressed, even more so on the b/o version.

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    By balance, I meant that the Thumb was very neck heavy. The headstock always wanted to go for the floor. It just never felt right no matter what strap I tried or what position I played it in. I always had to put physical effort into postioning the bass while I played it. Not good.

I think due to its better balance, the Streamer LX actually felt lighter. It was far more comfortable and I could simply focus on playing instead of manipulating the bass. It hung in the proper position and was far more natural feeling.

I never played beyond about the 18th fret on the 6 string and fret access was never an issue. As I said before, for me the LX was a far better fit and in my opinion a better, more well rounded instrument tonally.

9. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I can't speak to the streamer but I owned a Thumb. I usually keep my instruments, but the Thumb was just too uncomfortable to play. I loved the sound. Loved it! It wasn't very versatile however, and couldn't lend itself to all styles of music. I found that while the thumb allowed access to the 24th fret it actually wasn't very easy to play up there due to the profile of the neck. This may be different for you. I eventually traded it for an amp. I haven't regretted it. I loved the sound but playing it was a chore.

Chad

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    What is your $$ made out of? Mine is Swamp Ash which is a whole lot lighter than the Thumb. I hate to question you but I thought the $$ was only made in Swamp Ash. I had a Corvette Standard I got rid of, It was made of Bubinga and it was VERY heavy.

11. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    HTML:
    What is your $$ made out of? Mine is Swamp Ash which is a whole lot lighter than the Thumb. I hate to question you but I thought the $$ was only made in Swamp Ash. I had a Corvette Standard I got rid of, It was made of Bubinga and it was VERY heavy.
    The $$ has a Swamp ash body and 4,5 kg - my measurement.
    Definitely, I can't afford myself a heavyest bass than this one [4,5 kg].

I would grateful if those from you who has a Thumb Bolt-on and/or a Streamer LX would let me know it's weight. Please make by your own the measurement.

Thanks,
    Zoli

12. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    What about the Streamer LX and the Streamer Stage 1's Flamed Maple body? Is it heavy or not?

Secondly, what's your oppinion about Streamer Stage 1, with 6 strings?

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The Streamer Stage 1 6 string, now there's a nice bass. Be warned, the neck is very wide as they all come with the broad spacing. But anyway, the neck is on the thinner side, exactly how I like it, a lot less chunky than many other Warwicks. It's a very easy to play bass, the B string is very good, one of the best 34" Bs I've played. I only played seated so can't really comment on the weight but picking it up, it wasn't exactly what you'd call light but it didn't feel stupidly heavy either. Personally, I really liked it and the tone was absolutley brilliant.

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

The streamer LX of course! Unless you want to wear a 15 pound bass.

15. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    LX

16. Zoli

Zoli

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks, gentlemans! :)

Any other opinion is welcome!

Zoli

17. The Thumb sounds very agressive, The LX is not as agressive.
    Try them both, and you will see how heavy they are.

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I dont have a problem with the thumb's weight, so thats not an issue for me, and the tone is incredible, but also the lx is pretty nice sounding.