warwick thumb bolt on vs. double buck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by catrunes, Jan 1, 2006.

1. i was thinking about getting either of these but havent played a thumb yet. what are the pros and cons of each?
  2. People will point out the obvious.

The thumb will be heavier, since the double buck isn't made out of ovangkol or bubinga. The double buck will have tons more customization of tone, since the 2 MM style pickups are more complex. The variety of the tone is where the $$ shines in my opinion. The neck on a Thumb will be more massive as well.

Corvettes, IMO, were made to create a more mainstream accepted thumb.

The thumb though, will have a more defined low end since it is made of ovangkol. The thumb is more comfortable for some people because the pickup will not be in the "sweet" spot. I personally think the Warwick sound mainly comes from Bubinga/Ovangkol/Afzalia, so if you want the closest of the signature warwick sound I'd reccomend the Thumb. It is not for everyone though.

Definately play a thumb before you decide. It usually works out that you either love it or completely hate it.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just want to start by saying i think the thumb is a lot better.

The main con of the thumb is balance, everything else is a pro.

Also i dissagree about the dobule buck being lighter. One would think so, since it is swamp ash, but i have played thumb bolt ons that have had lighter weight ovangkol than the $$'s that ive played. So i think this varies.
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Two completely different animals, the $$ is the lightest bass I own, but I won't doubt figjam. The $$ may be the most versitile bass Warwick makes and they kept the price down.
    The Thumb may be "the" classic Warwick with the classic sound. The con is some people can't handle the weight distribution. I hear a lot of compaints about neck dive, but they sure do sell a lot of them.
    I strongly suggest you play one, the sound may overcome anything else.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The $$ will defiintely have a more versatile tone.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I wrote a limerick about this comparison.

I own a thumb and I love it
    It's light, purdy, and the sh**.
    I play it, don't stop
    It's tone makes jaws drop
    And I would cry if somebody stole it.

I've played a few double bucks.
    The tone, in my opinion... Is average.
    The versatility is great
    but the tones are not ornate
    Get a thumb for a few hundred more bucks.

I just couldn't find a tone that I liked out of the double buck. The thumb is a much more defined bass, especially with new pickups, a new preamp, or both. The thumb, though "different" sounding still fits well in a mix and sounds beautiful in it.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    oh, also...

I own a thumb NT. Mine has perfect balance. I've had no neck dive issues. The thumb BO may be a different story. I've only played one BO. It maintained the traditional thumb sound, but it may not balance as well.
  8. I agree with Whafro on all accounts.
  9. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Great limerick :hyper: (and informative)
  10. Classic case of a jack-of-all trades vs. the master artisan.

Sure the $$ can do alot of things very good, but the Thumb is a master at what it is.
  11. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  12. thanks everyone. i will try to find a thumb to play and compare with the $$.
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Go with the thumb, much better tone.. whafro cleared it up.
  14. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I have played a limited edition ovangkol double buck which I thought sounded nicer than the ash one. I slightly regret not buying it as ovangkol ones are very hard to find, but I now have a bolt-on thumb bass and am happy. The neck is quite wide but I don't get much neck dive.

The nice thing about the thumb is that the sound is very clear and punchy with lots of harmonics and lots of room for you hands, so the way you play really comes through. It is flexible within its own 'thing' but will always sound pretty much like a thumb.

Also, the best B string I ever played is on Thumb basses.
  15. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Wow, I agree with everyone so far on this thread.

I own a Warwick Thumb BO 6 string. I love playing it!!!
    I always get compliments from family members or other bassist.
    The Thumb is so sweet sounding especially on the B string, the tone definitely spits out Warwick, but the damn thing is heavy. There's also a slight neck dive. This doesn't annoy me. This is my pro bass for studio or good paying gigs.

I also own a Warwick Corvette $$ Humbucker 4 string. This is my go to bass. I love the sound, look, and feel of the bass, it just puts a smile on my face every time!

I love both in there own way!

CONS: No knob for mids on either bass. This would be nice to have in some cases.

Attached Files: