Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb: Bolt On Vs. Neck Through Design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrjasonpries, Feb 21, 2004.

1. mrjasonpries

mrjasonpries

Dec 15, 2003
    I've been shopping around for a new bass and have really taken a liking to the Warwick Thumb Bass. I was wondering though how much difference the neck through design changes the bass (haven't been able to play one), and if the $1000 dollar difference between the two models is worth it. Also, if you know anything about buying bass on e-bay i'd appreciate your opinion.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the BO's are a very good value bass in the Warwick line. They're a bit more puchy than the NT's, but other than that, very similar. I personally prefer the sound of the 3 band preamp that's on the NT's, but that can be an easy fix. The Thumb BO's are definitley good basses, and about half the price of the NT's.

3. Also, it could be a question of personal preference. Some people hate neck throughs. Neck throughs apparently have greater sustain and greater resonance because the neck and body are held together more "tightly", for lack of a better word. Generally, though, you should be pleased with the bolt-on, as the neck throughs are much more expensive and might not be worth it unless you really like that neck through sound (or the 3 band preamp, as Halftooth suggested).