Warwick: Thumb Bolt-On vs. Thumb Thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fonqueman, May 2, 2001.

1. fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    Recently I stumbled upon the opportunity to perform in a sucessful group in my local area. However, my current rig will not suffice for performances. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a Warwick for sometime now, and I cannot decide between a bolt-on or a thumb-thru. I've heard my fair-share of horror stories involving warping neck-thrus. I've also been weary of the softer wood on the thumb bolt-on. I slap quite a bit and the last thing I'm going to be thinking on stage in the middle of a blistering slap interlude is if I'm being gentle enough as to not scratch the body of the bass!
    outside of the Warwicks alltogether, I'm looking for advice on what I can buy. I'm more of a "solo" bassist - insomuch that I don't consider myself part of the kick drum - more a solo instrument that will lay down the bass lines. With that said I'm more of a trebley player and I like to here the low end but I demand a high-end pop that will cut through. I know a Warwick, combined with a good amp, will do such. I'm looking for anything else as far as recommendations I what I can buy without roughly exceeding the $1800 point. I'm a slappin' tappin', groovin', finger-style, bad-ass agressive bassist that cannot be bothered with a bass that won't perform under said conditions.
    Any advice anyone can offer, I look forward to. Thanks.
  2. I owned a Warwick Thumb 5 Neck thru for about 8 months and sold it. It did sounded really great, but the body was so small and the neck was so heavy that it was killing me to play for long periods. I would find myself having to hold up the neck while playing and that was not cool for me. I am not sure if the 4 string versions suffer from the same imbalance, but I would imagine so.

It is not my intent to steer you away from the instrument, but I couldn't read your post and not warn you about my experience. It may not feel as bad to you and, as with any instrument, you should strap it on and try it out for as long as you can before spending the money.

I am not going to give you any recommendation of other instruments because I have become one of the "vintage" guys. I dig old Fenders and I don't think that is what you are looking for.
  3. fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    Thanks for the advice - I appreciate it and I've heard similar things from other Warwick players. I'm a big guy so I might be able to deal with an imbalanced bass, but I will definitely take your words into consideration. Thanks again.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a bolt on 4 and there is some imbalance but a comfort Strapp improves the situation. If the body gets scuffed it can be sanded and then waxed (it has to be waxed anyway) if you want to carry out such a drastic repair method (I did). The body is quite durable and scratches show up way more on a gloss paint (espec black).

In the end its your cash I bought the bolt on cos the price was right. With your style you might want to try a Modulus. I wont try yo convince you just try one AB against a Warwick. Your cash your ears and your satisfaction are what matters happy hunting.
  5. I have a Thumb TN 5 FL and also a Thumb TN 4 FL, and the 4 is much more comfortable to play - it's about a pound lighter than the 5, and has a much nicer feel to the neck (the neck on the 5 feels more like a base-ball bat)

- Wil
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I have a line on a Bolt-on 5 right now. I loved the sound and the neck, surprisingly, suited me. However, it did take a nose-dive when I strapped it on. I have to aske what a comfort strap is. Also, is $1,200 US a good price for a year-old return (previous owner had similar complaints)?
  7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, if you havent yet tried one, Try a Spector Czech model. They're punchy and I think they'd suit what you want quite well. I'm not a fan of Warwicks; used to be, but then I played some ;) So, give a Czech Spector a try. Also, if you can, try and find a Used Zon Sonus Special..that might work as well.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Try the links there is a photo and description

IMPORTANT I used google to find info. I know nothing about the dealer. Please find your own dealer price etc.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I don't have experiance with Warwicks, but generally, a bolt-on neck is more liable to warp. Not much of a difference between the two styles in that respect, but the neck-thru is slightly more stable due to the extra fibre length that increases elasticity.
  10. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    did you buy the bass?