Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick thumb bolt on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by altherperson, Sep 1, 2003.

1. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    I bought a Warwick thuimb bolt on at Guitar center. They said they were having a sale. I bought it for $750. They said it was a special edition bass made for Guitar center.

Another bass player I met said he had the exact same bass and then he showed it to me and it was much heavier, not a bolt on.

My bass has two types of wood. A dark wood on the body and a light wood on the back of the body.

I am wondering since these basses sell for $12-$1300.00 normally whats going on. Did I get an cheap version. Ihave never seen a sale like that at guitrar center. That's why I bought it. I really like but I am not really that knowledgeable about basses.

Can anyone guve me any insight into what kind of bass I have?

Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Can you post a pic?

3. Here's my bolt on. Does it look like this? Post a pic if you can:

P.S. I moved the strap button, it helps with the neck-dive issue.

4. The front:

5. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    Thank you; I don't have a pic.

But my bass is exactly the same except.:

The fingerboard is a black wood
    The wood on your bass is the same on the front only of my bass.
    The back of the my bass is a darker wood. which is the same wood as on the neck.

There is a additional bolt on the back of yours- I guess it's for the strap. I don't have that.

6. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    [Ok here is a picture of my two toned bass. Note the wood in front and back is different.

7. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    Picture of thumbolt on two toned wood

8. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    front showing black fingerboard

9. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    I ll get it right someday here is something fromnt back....

10. I really really tried to like Warwick basses, but I just can't get into them, because I love the way they look.

11. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    oh boy the images are too big . Here is my last try.

12. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    front showing black fingerboard

13. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    That looks like a bubinga top to me. My guess would be that the fretboard is ebony. Is it smooth, or does it have a lot of grain and texture? Ebony should be smooth. My guess would be that your bass was an excellent buy, but I don't know as much about Warwick basses as some people around here. Hopefully someone else will chime in, too.

14. Looks like a bubinga top on an ovangkol body with a ovangkol neck and an ebony fretboard. Sounds like you got a good deal on it.

Geoff

15. altherperson

altherperson

Sep 1, 2003
    MY FATHER WAS A CLOWN.

ANYWAY HOW WHAT IS THE POSSIBLE DOL;LAR VALUE OF A BASS LIKE THIS WITH A BUBINGA TOP AND OVANGKOL BODY, EBONY FRETBOARD. IS THIS UNUSUAL FOR A WARWICK. IS BUBINGA A BETTER GRADE WOOD?

THANKS

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    WOW that's nice!!

17. Warwick normaly makes the bolt-on with an Ovankol body & neck, with a wenge fretboard. Consider the Bubinga top & Ebony an upgrade. You are a lucky bassist!

18. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I believe there is a maple veneer between the top and bottom as well.

19. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    bubinga and ovangkol are both great woods. neither is better than the other as the offer different tones. The neckthru models have bubinga bodies and the bolt ons have ovangkol bodies. This is true of newer warwicks they may vary if built before 98 or if it's a custom job. To answer the 1st guys question if the neck and body look like the same wood its probably ovangkol. And ovangkol is cheaper as well. All post 98 warwick necks are ovangkol with wenge fingerboards unless they are custom. yours may accually have a rosewood or ebony fretboard considering the price and the fact it was a GC special model. But I couldn't tell you for sure without seeing it.