Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Bolt-On6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimothyGroovy, May 8, 2003.

1. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Hey all experts here! I own a Warwick Thumb BO6 for a year and feel happy with it. But the only thing i dislike from my Warwick are the mid and the slap tone. :( For the mid, it's really cut the band, but seems too much, the sound become muddy. Is it a charactar of Thumb? :confused: Also, I can't get the right slap tone from my bass even its string with new string. it's crap. I want to know is it the problem of set up or any other problem??

2. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i used to have one 6 astring broad neck

it still have really cool the slap tone but now is in argentina

have you tried with new batteryes?

the mec preamp consumes a lot

so if you dont feel good with it

maybe it is that

ad some bost and some bass and alittle treble and you will do ok

it is probably the amp dont you think?

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd guess the problem would be the strings, EQ settings or the action. What kind of strings are using?

Also, you could try rising the action a bit, and tweaking your EQs for less lows and mids. Also, put something beneath your amp so it's around a foot (30cm) or more off the floor, makes it sound less muddy.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the thumb has a really unique tone, so if you're looking for a marcus miller type slap tone - you need to get a new bass.

i like my thumb BO6's slap tone, but that's a fretless so it's a little different type of sound i'm looking for out of it.

one thing you can try is to make an 18v harness for the preamp. take three 9v battery connectors and wire them together in series, connect one end to the 9v connector and put a battery on each of the other connectors. it's cheap to do and makes no permanent modifications to the instrument. i thought it really 'woke up' the bass. there are a few writeups on how to do this in the pickups and setup forums.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    a warwick thumb bolt neck with a mid control?

6. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    that exactly what i think
    :D

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I tried out a Thumb BO6 and while it felt great and played wonderfully, I hated the sound of the mids and highs no matter how much I messed with the EQ.

Not having tried too many Warwicks, I can't say for sure, but seeing as I couldn't dial in a different sound, maybe it is characteristic...

8. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Now my Warwick Thumb BO6 strung with D'Addario Slowound sets. I don't know will the problem sloved after I get some other brands of strings.
    The action of my set up is pretty low, as to play more fast.
    Mostly I will flat the treble from my bass, and boost the bass. (between, Thumb do not have mid control.) and one thing that I have mentioned is that the sound is little bit better when the bass plug into SWR or EBS, but its suck if I plug into Trace Eillot.