Warwick Thumb + DG Tone Capsule

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keatz, Jan 20, 2017.

1. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Hi, im playing with the idea of putting a tone capsule pre in my thumb bo5. Not because i find anything wrong with my tone atm, just super curious. Has anyone here tried this? Or can anyone point me in the direction of a sample?

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Zombie thread!

I'm considering this switch myself, as the DG pre's high mid frequency center (2.8khz) is close to the MEC pre's treble (2.5khz), which I dig, but I'd like to be able to add some low mids and bass, so it makes sense. Only pain may be to buy the pre, then have to source the appropriate pots and knobs for it.

3. Haven’t tried it. I did have a thumb with a Delano pre and it sounded good. Really any good pre is an upgrade imo. The stock Warwick electronics will fail at some point. I’ve owned 6 German Warwick’s and every single one of them will need a new jack, most likely first, then the pre will be the next thing that has issues.

4. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I just got done playing the BO4 Blackouts PC beta, I'm all about zombies right now.

The OP somehow missed all the Russian Thumb clips on YouTube with Haz clones and DG's?

Those guys really love death metal, just saying.

Personally I'd just use a DG pedal in whatever gain flavor, and keep the annoying MEC preamp bc it would shine in what I think is the throat roar application.

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I think I missed those videos too. I'll search, but do you have a link, or maybe a username for the guy?

6. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Search for Warwick thumb bo and they pop up.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021