Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick thumb: different pup locations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Curious.....I've seen several Warwick thumb basses. Some have the two pickups located parallel to each other and slanted; others have the pickups oriented so they angle towards each other like a "V" at the treble side of the pickups.

Anybody comment on the tonal differences or why they variations?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I thought that aswell. But then i saw the thumb neck thru with slante p-ups. Is it the bolt ons that are parallel and neck thrus slanted?

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jim

I played one last week at GC and the pick ups were placed just like Will Lee's Sadowsky. The string spacing on the bass was VERY narrow, i found it difficult to play finger style with.

5. Well I broke my Sadowsky run :bag: and picked up a used 5 string Warwick bolt-on thumb on Ebay. I'm really loving this bass: lots of fun. It doesn't hold a candle to my Sadowsky basses in many regards but it's my first 5 and has a very cool tone. It has the pickups oriented parallel to each other.

And yes the strings are very close together. It takes me a few minutes to get used to it or the Sadowsky basses going back and forth but no big deal.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Best of Luck with it Jim and welcome to 5 string's

7. Thanks, Major. Of course we know which road this takes me down sooner or later:

Sadowsky 5 string !!!!!!!

8. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    its my understanding that in the beginning there was the thumb 4 string, then they made the 5 string with the pickups the same way. the problem was it did not have the same sound, so they moved em around until the sound of the 5 was similar to the 4. do ask me how they did it this is just what i heard.