1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warwick thumb.. don't like the sound -_-

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist22, Sep 12, 2008.

1. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    hi all
    ive got a warwick 4 thumb BO.
    i'm not really satisfied with the tone, because it sounds kind of like clankity clank, i'm after a more of a fat warm tone for jazz/funk.
    i've been trying to get the marcus miller tone from the warwick but ive come to the conclusion that i need a maple fretboard to achieve that 'snappy' sound.
    what mods should i make on the thumb to change the tone?
    Pickups? EMGS? preamp?
    thanks

2. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Start with strings first.
    GHS Pressurewounds would be my choice to tame a clack.
    Or broken-in D'Addarios XL.

3. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    The clankity clank is probably a result of the wrong settings on the bass and amplifier.

Start out with everything flat on the bass (center ident) and amp with tweeter minimized and go from there.

4. The fretboard is the least of yout tonal problems methinks, as has been said, se up the bass properly, new strings and set your amp flat to begin with.

New strings and a good set up make SO much difference its unbelievable sometimes!

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    As I was saying in the other thread, though, man, with a 15w practice amp, it doesn't even matter what strings, pickups, onboard pre, etc you are using... Even Marcus Miller isn't going to get a good tone out of a 15w Johnson!

If you are using provided backline or going direct, a Jazz bass will put you in the right direction. Personally, I think it is a mistake to have as much invested in your bass if that leaves only enough in your budget for a 15w amp. Most Talkbassers agree (see the other thread you started and my link from there) that the amp & cab are more important than the bass when it comes to tone.

6. word! 15w for guitar might be alright but for bass - yikes.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I spent close to 2 years trying to get my warwick to sound like a Musicman (Ha. I originally typed MM but realized that's also Marcus Miller). then i bought myself a Musicman and thought, duh. I'd suggest saving the pickup and preamp money and hassle, selling the bass, and getting what you want instead of trying to make apples out of oranges. or keeping the bass and for not all that much more than you'd pay for the mods - getting a bass that sounds like you want it to.

8. bassist22

bassist22

Mar 16, 2007
    hmmmm ok.
    the fact that im new zealand doesn't really help :S.
    im definitely going to get a new amp by christmas.
    i've been looking at some of the strings. dean markley's? any good? which model?
    also, what is the difference in the gauge measurements? hwat effect will thsi have on my sound?
    Thanks

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    move to NY then. it's so much easier to get what you want here. :)

10. Yeah its a good excuse to be fair.

Infact I might use that one :ninja:

11. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    Opinions vary but I don't think that's needed at all. Go to this page
    http://www.dame.co.kr/product.php?prod=sanctus_v900
    and play the video under the description, is that snappy enough?

If this is the sound you want you need a bass with Jazz pickups in the Jazz locations (fortunately there are a million options). The Thumb has the pickups too close to the bridge to get the classic Jazz sound.

12. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    1. Amp, ( I do most my practice on a 30w Berihnger, my gig rigs are 350w trace and a 500w ashdown, Mama Dave is right it will sound right and will not push any low end)

2. strings

3. cut the mids, boost the bass, light bump on treble ( also make sure your battery is fresh. ie do not leave your bass plugged in with not playing it)

4. Practice :I

5. If your still not close trade the Wick for a Fender MM

I once had the chance to play a rig that Stanley Clarke played on rental, I plugged in made sure all my settings were the same as the night before and tore into school days. It was closer than I've ever sounded ...... but it didn't sound anything like Stanley Clarke

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Warwick has an acquired taste that needs to get used to before you can find your groove. I have mine set up with flats and very low action. I Eq everything flat and boost the bass on the preamp. I am very pleased with the tone.

G

14. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    That isn't going to work, ever. The thumb has it's own unique slap sound. Many hate it, some like it. It is unique though, if you wanna be different. :)

15. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Dean Markley Randy Jackson Alcamy Sigs, best strings I've ever played, (I've played EB Slinky's, Elixer Nanowebs, Roto's, DR Coated, Fenders and a few more I can't remember atm.) They stay bright and snappy feeling for so long over 2 months on my bass and still like new.

16. AMP AMP AMP!!!!! It's virtually impossible to get a great sound out of such a small amp. Typically small amps have too much high end and not nearly enough low end. Add the snappy tone of a Wick and naturally it's not gonna sound good through an amp like that. Trying to get a bass that sounds great through a small amp is an exercise in futility.

17. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I used to own 2 Wick Thumbs (5 and 6 ). You can get a great "humbucker style" slap but thats not the same as a "J style" slap regardless of the strings or amp. Thats the main reason I let them go. If that MM tone is REALLY what you want you have to get a Jazz bass geared for Hi Fi tone.

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Warwick thumbs have one tone - Warwick thumb. The woods, the tight pickup spacing and the 24 fret fingerboard will not give you a tone like marcus miller, or any jazz bass unfortunately. I'd look for a jazz, CIJ 70s reissue, used Marcus Miller sig, etc and hang onto your Thumb if you still like that tone and have the cash.
    That slap sound also comes from the way you play the bass too, keep listening and practicing...

19. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Yeah, the Thumbs have a really burpy sound that you either love or loathe, although a string change and a better amp will definately guide you into a tone you'll probably like more.