Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick thumb EQ question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6 string demon, May 30, 2003.

1. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have a 1990 thru neck 6 string thumb, its got bartolini soapbars in and the 2 band MEC preamp. i always knew it had the push/pull pot on the volume for active/pasive. but ive just found on the stacked Treble/bass knob, the top part (treble) is also push pull pot. any idea wat this one is for? thanx alot

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No idea. My 1990 Thumb NT 5 had the 2 band MEC preamp (until the MEC died). It didn't have push pull on the bass treble pot. Do you hear any difference in the sound when you do this? Or maybe the top pot is just coming loose?

3. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    its not loose, its an actual push pull pot i looked in the cavity and it s built the same as the push pull pot. im not sure if it does anything, it seems to be a bit of treble boost. but its hardly anything. i wonder if it was jst a pot taken from the 3band eq. i got the bass second hand and im not sure if the 3 band is standard on the 1990 or wether it was 2 band then. if the preamp has been replaced i could have been they used the stacked volume/ pan knob, that has push pull for active passive in place for the standard one. maybe?

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was going to say that it could be an active/passive switch, but Warwick normally puts those on the volume knob at least that's the case with my Dolphin and Stage II. My dolphin has a push pull on the treble knob, but that one splits the pickups.

5. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    that may be it, yes i ahev push pull on the volume know for active passive. *runs to see if push pull pot splits coils* wait is there any way to check other that the sound? so i can conclusily know

6. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    im not sure if this is what you meant, but ive worked it out, it splits the coils to make single coil, it definitly does this on the bridge p/u but im not sure bout the neck p/u. but thanx alot guys.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    shoot emails to these two cats, they helped me big time on answers and they are quick:

warwick: st.manz@warwick.de

dana b. goods: dbgtech@danabgoods.com the name is Rob Busch

hope this helps!

8. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    thanx alot, ive always been doubtful of emailing companies as i rarly seem to get replies. i'll give it a go, thanx alot.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The coils should only split in the bridge position, and yes, when split, it may sound a bit brighter with some growl.

10. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    im pretty sure thats what ive got thanx alot guys.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's definitely not standard issue, must have been an option at the time?

12. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    could be activate a bright boost lie ka j retro does

13. Obviously that control is doing something if it improves bright/treble and that's great!

Still, something doesn't seem quite right to me about this being a coil tap. Wouldn't you need two coils in the bridge pickup before you could split 'em? I would suggest that you email Dana B. Goods and Rob could probably give you an answer.

14. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i have emailed warwick, should i email dana as well? i wasnt sure wether to email them both. im pretty sure it is a coil tap, thats what it sounds like to my ears. i thought it was a treble boost bright type thing because is was thinking about somthing to do with the eq. i asked if it was standard issue. so hopefully i should get a reply soon.

15. One or the other should know if this was done at the factory. I've always had extremely fast responses from DBG tech support.

Sorry to raise doubt on the coiltap, but the barty dual coils I've seen are large MM style like on the Dolphin. My suspicion is that your switch is putting the pickups out of phase, which can also change the sound a fair bit.

16. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    it sounds to me like a single coil when i pull it. but then again im no expert. i just know what sound i like i wouldnt be able to tell you how its achieved. i really like this extra option on my thumb. ive got a whole new palette of sound to play with. ive found a nice bridge jazz bass kind of sound from it. but i will email dana as well and see if they can give me any pointers. if that comes up with nothing next time im at the gallery i'll see if they can tell me. would there be a way i can tell from the way the wires are or anything? ive really got no idea of how it all works, i just know it does and sounds great.

17. Very interesting--I had exactly the same bass ('90 Thumb Pro 6 with Barts/MEC) and don't remember that switch at all, just the active/passive on the volume knob. Still, I could easily have missed it. Will be interested to hear what Warwick and/or DBG tells you about it.

Mike

18. It really doesn't matter what it does if you like the sound! I know that there were some MEC preamps (very few, apparently) that had a midrange control setup (eg. pull out and turn to set mids). In any case it sounds like a lucky option. Keep us posted...

19. The MEC in mine had a little pot in the control cavity that you could use to boost (and cut?) the mids, but it was not the kind of thing you could use "on the fly".

Mike