1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb fretless 5 stringing: use a low B or add a C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plantbrain, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Hi, I recently acquired a Warwick 5 string fretless thumb. I intend to epoxy the fretboard. I'm trying to get some feedback on whether to go with a high C or keep a low B. I've heard low B's make good thumb rest or move air and not much tone/notes.

I'm interested in hearing debates for or against the low B and the high C.

I know how I am once the strings are on, I'll likely not change back.

Tom

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    i have both a 5 with a high c and a 6 string with a low B and i have to say, i hardly use either of the 'new' strings, though i use the C more. this is probably because i cant convince my guitar player to play in any key besides D and since its eaiser to just drop tune, my B goes down to an A. not very usefull.

its cool for some tricks but for the most part its unused. in conclusion, id say the C is a tad more usefull but it depends on the genre of your playing.

3. TRB

TRB

Aug 14, 2005
    Scotland
    Personally I'd say stick to the low B. I'm a 6er but in truth I'd be pretty much jsut as happy with a 5 string bass as with a 6 string bass. Although the high C is a snazzy wee thing to pull out and use every now and then I jsut feel it's pretty much redundant in most situations wheras I can often find a use for the B string.

Of course this is my opinion and it does go agains the post above me, but that's how I feel.

4. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    The Fretless aspect has me weirded out a bit with the low B. I guess I'll just have to try both and see.

Adding the epoxy as well will be a big change.
    I love the sound of the Warwick fretless basses a lot. But I love the sound of the epoxy as well so hopefully the conversion shall be a synergistic combo.

I'm leaning towards the high C right now.
    Any reasons not go with the B vs the high C on a fretless?

Other comments?
    The more the better.

Tom

5. Sandwich Man

Sandwich Man

Apr 30, 2006
    New York
    I think it honestly depends on the type of music that you play. I thought I wouldn't use the low B all that much when I got my 5er, but it's really growing on my for non-rock stuff (with the except of pulling out some 311 or Incubus tunes.)

Smooth jazz or RnB or Reggae, do the low B. A lot of people in jazz use a low B as well, Gerald Veasley comes to mind. If you want to play a lot of solo stuff, go for the high C to give yourself more range in that department. Honestly, it's all preference, but if you ask me high C or low B are luxuries, so you can't really go wrong either way.

6. With a Low B, you could get that fretless tone of a low E because you could play the 5th fret of the B string.

7. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Well, I have some fretteds and 6 string, so I can use those for the higher notes/solo stuff.

They are not fretless though.

I suppose given a number of basses, I could turn the 4 to a higher note set up and leave one normal(but then it's like which one do I do this to?).

The Warwick might just keep the low B.
    I think I'll play a bit more like a particular style(Jazzy, smooth, fatter warmer sounds) with it. The other basses tend to be brighter sounding.

This is a tougher decision than I thought:eyebrow:

But I like the comments made here: helpful.

One of my main things for having a fretless was the fact it broke me out of the fret mode and challenged me to new sounds, finger work, and style. So I want to retain that part.

Tom

8. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    The B string does make a good thumb rest.

That said, if you want to challenge yourself, find a way to make use of that low B. It seems you already know what you'd do with the high C.

9. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Very good point Beta!
    I think it being a thru neck with epoxy fretboard, it should hold the lows really well. An extra inch would help but oh well, always a trade off.

I wonder what thumbing and slapping such a fat string will do or if it turns to mud. Humm...yet another challenge to get clean eh?

Tom

10. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    I tried the high C.

I like the low B on this bass.
    Sounds quite nice and little mud factor.
    Has a nice fat sound that works well.

Since I have other basses, this one will be more the fat groove bass, and the others will have the higher end.

I still need to epoxy the fretboard and detail a few things.

Tom

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021