Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb history

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 20, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am looking for some information on Warwick Thumb Neck Thru body during the years-

1)when they started using MEC?
    2) was Bartolini the first pickups they used?
    3) is the brass hardware still in use? if not when they stoppped to use brass bridges?

if you know a fansite with info on the thumb bass, ler me know!

peace!

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'll try to answer...they used EMG's first...then bartolini. i think MEC came in around '92, '93...the thumb 6 carried the bartolinis for a while longer, and then were available with either the MEC's or Seymour Duncan Basslines. they stopped using brass bridges back in the early 90's as well, though the brass nut stayed a while after the brass bridge left. then around '97/'98 when they started using the double acting truss rod (identified by the volute on the back of the neck), they started using the graphite nut. i have, however, seen a lot of five and six string thumbers with the volute and brass nut, also the broadneck bolt necks (5 and 6 string) still come with brass nuts. i really don't think there are very many hard dates as to when these things stopped and started. some of the brass hardware is still available through warwick...try emailing dale titus or michael brown at dana b. goods. they know a heck of a lot more than i do about it.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks you helped me a lot!:)

4. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    (Probably!) I'll get one of these (used) by the end of next month...got a pretty good price:)

edit/[I'll get the six string version]:cool:

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I tried for these hard answers myself and found that there aren't really any standards for Warwick. I'll give you an example; I have a 98 Dolphin which shouldn't have the just-a-nut 2 yet as standard, but I have one on mine. The brass in theory was still the standard, but I have the newer one which is better in my opinion, just uglier! 96-98 were good years because they were making the basses better, not cheaper. By the way, why would someone want to deface a nice thumb like that. Or better yet, if it wasn't a refin., why would someone want to order a thumb like that. I don't know? To each his own.

6. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    When you have almost all exisiting exotic wood tops (or solid bodies w/transparent finish) on your basses you're just bored to get another one nice looking bubinga natural thumb (at least for a while) :D:D
    you gotta have lots of them that way

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I actually kinda like that sparkle finish...it's unique. At least they did to the neck, too. I like the border it makes around the headstock. And that is a Warwick finish, believe it or not! I kinda like the bass, but I REALLY dig that Bergie cab on the floor behind it! :eek:

8. That bass is uuuuuugly! So if you want trade it straight up for a japanese fender jazz, just pm me.:D

9. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah, it's a Warwick custom shop finish....Muchos Pesos $$$$$..:)

10. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    nope, no way....but if you have a MIM fretless jazz...:D

11. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Does anyone know when warwick started to use the two-piece bridge design???

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well I have a 1987 Streamer and that has the one-piece Schaller roller-saddle bridge (and EMG's too and a solid brass nut - which I've replaced with a graphite just-a-nut 2). Hope that helps narrow down some dates.

Alex

13. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have a 1987 Thumb which has a two-piece bridge..... so i guess it was some time in 1987 then. it has a brass just-a-nut

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    chris, that blue thumb that you have was a one off "show-piece" of what the warwick custom shop was capable of...it was one of the first to sport the two piece bridge/tailpiece design.

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Like I said, no standards. Two basses made in 87 with two different bridges. Warwick just doesn't make sense to me.

16. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    my thumb has now been retired from active duty, its now just sitting in its case. I just couldnt bring myself to take it out on the road, im afraid it would get damaged or stolen.

Thanks for the info.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    prudent....that is one bombass thumber...i wouldn't take it out either

18. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Warwick started to use a two piece bridge design in the late 80's, my ex streamer s1 ('90) had that type of bridge and a solid brass nut, the EMGs (p/j factory assembled:)) were running through a MEC two band active preamp....why:confused: )

19. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    My 90 thumb 5 had the MEC' pus

20. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Is it a bolt on? Maybe they used to use the mec's on their "cheapper models" back than...I didn't know that they had mecs before 1991. anyhow, they alredy had the preamp:D:D