Warwick Thumb lookalike

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ens, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Ens

Feb 11, 2001
    I saw this second hand 4-string bass at local music shop and bought it. The price was about $300. The thing that confuses me most is that it looks exactly like Warwick Thumb (the headstock too).

It has passive electronics, on the pickups it reads gotoh and there's a high-gloss lacquer finish on it. The bolt-on 26-fret neck is attached differently to the body than in the original Thumb.

I have no idea who made this bass. There is an odd-looking logo on the headstock resembling the letter
    T, but that hasn't helped me much. Does anyone have any idea what this thing could be?
  2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    There is a company called "Jay Turser" that makes Warwick copies, it is probably one of those...maybe.
  3. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Do you have access to a digital camera? It would aid us greatly in identifying your mystery bass.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I've seen Turser's Music Man clones, but no Warwicks. Is is possible that this is a hand-made project? What kind of P'ups does it have?
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Turser does make Warwick clones. They're based on the Corvette models though. They have a list price of about $249.00. There is a compnay that makes Thumb knock offs called Gim Guitars, but they were sent a "Cease & Desist(sp?)" letter.
  6. T as in...pre-gibson Tobias, maybe?
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not for $300, and not with Gotoh pickups.
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i know that several years ago, a company called Vester turned out some warwick thumb clones. but with a "T" on the headstock? i dunno about that one...got me...post a pic...
  9. Ens

Feb 11, 2001
    Sorry, no digital camera available, but the logo on the headstock looks very much like this:

<a href="http://www.qnet.fi/esiponkoski/gif/logo.gif">logo.gif</a>

The pickups are passive j's and they are placed just like in the thumb (the bridge pup slightly slanted).
  10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Maybe you could e-mail Warwick. They might know which manufacturers are (or were) making knock-offs of their basses.
  11. Ens

Feb 11, 2001
    The guy at the music shop wasn't sure what it was, but he mentioned Tokai. Has Tokai made knock offs like this?
  12. hey guy
    if your in england, it could possibly be a tanglewood copy, i'v seen them about to. i say only in england cos they're an english company. if no, i dunno
    hope this helps

13. just looked at the headstock logo
    and methinks that ups the chances of it being a Tanglewood

RaR to me
  14. Who cares who made it? With Gotoh's and for only $300, BUY IT!!!

We'll figure out the manufacturer later.

Rock on
  15. embellisher

Have you plugged it in and tried it? If so, how did it sound?
  16. embellisher

That's more of a Corvette knockoff.
  17. True, but the same company make a Thumb ripoff. It has a single bridge MM pickup though.

The colours and headstocks are, however, the same.
  18. Tanglewood. Those are the Warrior 2 models.

I've only ever seen them for sale in the UK though. They look like a UK Cort distributor, especially with the 'Artisan' model.
  19. Ens

Feb 11, 2001
    Yes, I have. And to my surprise, the sound is very articulative and "jazzy", especially on the bridge pickup. Even on half-dead strings it is capable to produce the kind of "talking" sound. Also, the thing refuses to go out of tune. I haven't touched the tuners for about a month now, still I play it a lot.