Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Neck Dive

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grooveguru, Nov 21, 2000.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Has anyone come up with a workable soulution to the neck dive problem with Thumb basses? I've seen on some newsgroups that one suggestion was to mount a strap button higher up on the bottom of the bass. Has anyone actually tried this? If so what was the result. Another person suggested mounting the upper horn strap button on the lower horn. Again has anyone tried this? Let me hear ya Warwick players.

2. I've seen a couple mentions about neck dive with Thumb's. I have a 1990 neck thru Thumb 4 that is perfectly balanced. Is this problem common with the bolt ons?

3. I have a Thumb 4 neck-through, which feels pretty well balanced. I also have a Thumb 5 neck-through, which is noticably neck-heavy, but not to the point of being annoying. The neck of the 5 has a totally different feel, being wider, it's more like a base-ball bat, whereas that of the 4 feels more like a Rickenbacker. The 5 is over a pound heavier than the 4. I use a "Comfort Strap" on each of them, and have found that wide strap to be ideal.

- Wil

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I too have purchased a Comfort Strap (A must for Warwick or any other weighty basses). The neck dive is not THAT bad but noticable. I have played numerous basses over the years mostly Fenders though and the Thumb 4 Bolt-on definitely takes some getting used to. Still looking for some ideas though!!!

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a bolt on 4 with a comfort strapp and dont have a problem. Maybe cos its fretless (this is a joke I dont really think the weight of the frets makes a difference)

Seriously my other bass is a Stingray 5 and I do find that it is neck heavy.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    My experience has been that the neck dives if you don't wear the bass high. I've been playing one for the last 4 months and it did dive until I wore it higher. I think it was designed for someone with a wide back and a large stomach since it seems to work well if you lean back with it. That's just my experience :)

7. claypool311

claypool311

Dec 22, 2000
    I have a Warwick bass and as most bassists already know, this things are pretty heavy. I have heard that a comfort strap helps with the weight a lot. However, I have no idea what a comfort strap is or where I can get one. Can someone please help me out? thanks a lot

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I answered your thread about five mins ago hope the link helps.

9. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have a Thumb 5 Bolt on and my workaround has been to wear the bass a little higher than I would wear,say,a Fender,and I use one of those wide Levy's straps that's made of suede,not smooth leather,which helps the bass to not slip around as much 'cause the suede kind of adheres to my clothing.I know one thing,I ain't puttin' no holes in that gorgeous piece of wood...

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    yeah, german people.
    probably has something to do with their high root beer consumption rates.

11. i will have to get one! i know it keeps my thunderbird from feeling neck heavy

12. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

and I see on the Basses forum that you already got one.

congrats and welcome to the Warwick family!
    may you enjoy your Warwick bass to the utmost and never part from it ever. :)

13. wow, your a better stalker than me :D

it feels a little neck heavy when you put it on but once its in place it stays. haven't found any down points to my new bass except for this, i would put it on this list with my pedulla. this list of basses i will never sell. another plus, it matches my stereo cabinet.

14. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

you all might be in intrested in a technique to balance short horned basses which appeared on Bunny Bass.
    it consists of hooking both strap loops unto the upper horn only.
    sounds a bit danegrous but it might work for you.

http://www.marginx.com/bunnybass/tips.shtml