Warwick Thumb neck thru 5 string wide neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Any info and feedback on these would be great. Specifically looking to hear about the playablity of the wide neck option. I play a sadowsky 5 now and I really like the string spacing on that and don't want to have a drastic difference when switching. Thanks.
  2. The Warwick Thumb Broadneck bass has 5 strings (or 6) and has a 4 string basses spacing. You can get more info through www.warwickbass.com.

As for the playabilty, I have yet to play one, but I bet thats a plank of neck, and most people around here already complauin about regular 'wick necks being wide, so id be cautioned if you like tight spacing.

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a corvette that has 5 string wide - i love it, but it also came with a 6 string neck and bridge and that's what i'm using right now...

i do have big hands, that's all i can really say about it...it's matches up rather nicely...
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I play a Streamer LX6 with a broadneck. I almost got the standard spacing when I bought the sucker, but opted for the wider spacing and am now hooked on it. I won't even consider a bass now with anything smaller than 19mm (and preferably 20mm). I was already used to approximately 16.5mm on a previous sixer and was shocked at how much easier the wide spacing is. I don't understand why some people think that closer spacings play faster, they most assuredly do not for me. Oh well, different strokes....
  5. Yeah I was just curious because I do have a 4 string warwick fortress masterman and the neck is super thin and gives me hand cramps when I play it.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Are you sure there is a "wide neck" option on the Thumb neck-through version? I've only seen it for the bolt-ons...

Of course, anything can be done through the custom shop, but I didn't think that's what you were asking about.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was under the assumption as well that the Thumb NT does not have a BN option. The BN option is only available on the Thumb BO, but as Mike said, with the Custom Shop, anything is possible.
  8. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    yeah i have the wide neck bolt on 5 and i love it. it so damn easy to slap on it its rediculous and its real easy to tap on it too. as for playability theres no real problem for me. i went from a ibanez which had a real thin neck to my wick and it took about an hour to get used to it. I love my wide neck to death and its easy to play finger and pick style too but i have big hands so my fretting hand didn't really have any trouble with it.

9. I've never heard anyone say Warwick necks were wide; quite the contrary- I quit 'em awhile ago over too-tight spacing. IMO they are thick(front-to-back)compared w/almost anything else.
  10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, they have a broad-neck option that puts the string spacing at 20mm. I believe their standard on 5 and 6 strings is like 16.5mm, so this option is a significant difference in spacing.
    I was the same way in terms of the closer spacing. I finally got rid of all my Warwick 5's because the spacing was too tight compared to other basses. If there's a Thumb 5 NT with the BN option, I'd be all over it, the only problem is that I don't think one exists, esprcially one with a Wenge/Bubinga neck.