Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb neck thru 5 string wide neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Any info and feedback on these would be great. Specifically looking to hear about the playablity of the wide neck option. I play a sadowsky 5 now and I really like the string spacing on that and don't want to have a drastic difference when switching. Thanks.

2. The Warwick Thumb Broadneck bass has 5 strings (or 6) and has a 4 string basses spacing. You can get more info through www.warwickbass.com.

As for the playabilty, I have yet to play one, but I bet thats a plank of neck, and most people around here already complauin about regular 'wick necks being wide, so id be cautioned if you like tight spacing.

~Ryan

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a corvette that has 5 string wide - i love it, but it also came with a 6 string neck and bridge and that's what i'm using right now...

i do have big hands, that's all i can really say about it...it's matches up rather nicely...

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I play a Streamer LX6 with a broadneck. I almost got the standard spacing when I bought the sucker, but opted for the wider spacing and am now hooked on it. I won't even consider a bass now with anything smaller than 19mm (and preferably 20mm). I was already used to approximately 16.5mm on a previous sixer and was shocked at how much easier the wide spacing is. I don't understand why some people think that closer spacings play faster, they most assuredly do not for me. Oh well, different strokes....

5. Yeah I was just curious because I do have a 4 string warwick fortress masterman and the neck is super thin and gives me hand cramps when I play it.

6. Are you sure there is a "wide neck" option on the Thumb neck-through version? I've only seen it for the bolt-ons...

Of course, anything can be done through the custom shop, but I didn't think that's what you were asking about.

Mike

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was under the assumption as well that the Thumb NT does not have a BN option. The BN option is only available on the Thumb BO, but as Mike said, with the Custom Shop, anything is possible.

8. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    yeah i have the wide neck bolt on 5 and i love it. it so damn easy to slap on it its rediculous and its real easy to tap on it too. as for playability theres no real problem for me. i went from a ibanez which had a real thin neck to my wick and it took about an hour to get used to it. I love my wide neck to death and its easy to play finger and pick style too but i have big hands so my fretting hand didn't really have any trouble with it.

9. I've never heard anyone say Warwick necks were wide; quite the contrary- I quit 'em awhile ago over too-tight spacing. IMO they are thick(front-to-back)compared w/almost anything else.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, they have a broad-neck option that puts the string spacing at 20mm. I believe their standard on 5 and 6 strings is like 16.5mm, so this option is a significant difference in spacing.
    I was the same way in terms of the closer spacing. I finally got rid of all my Warwick 5's because the spacing was too tight compared to other basses. If there's a Thumb 5 NT with the BN option, I'd be all over it, the only problem is that I don't think one exists, esprcially one with a Wenge/Bubinga neck.