Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Neck Thru Problems?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DRN, Jun 9, 2003.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I just bought a Warwick thumb 5 NT and I am hearing distrotion every once in awhile when I play. I have changed the battery but still seem to get a dostortion espically mid neck on the A & D strings.

How do you think I should trouble shoot this? And if you think it is the pick ups how do I trouble them?

I also have an 8 month old Warwick Streamer 2. This is my main bass and I have no problems with distortion etc.

Thanks for your help
    Drn

2. Pickups too close to the strings? Gain set too high on the preamp? Fret buzz in a certain area of the neck that just sounds a bit like distortion? Loose connections in the control cavity? Bad or loose output jack?

Those are a few possibilities that come to mind off the top of my head...

Mike

3. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I have changed the strings about 4 times since I bought it so I do not think it is bad strings. I even was trying out different manufacturers at the time.

Pickup height is ok. I have very litttle fret buzz but I will check that as well. At practice tonight I am goingn to see if the pre gain is to hot. I do not think so since I have an Eden WT800 and it has a pre gain light that is suposed to flicker when you are really diggin in. This is suposed to be the sweet spot. Best signal to noise ratio. It seems about the same when I play either bass.

I am also going to run direct into my pa board and listen with headphones to see if I can still hear it. This would eliminate the rig and focus in on the bass.

Thanks for the comments and I will report back tomorrow.

4. Good luck! Could be a problem with the preamp itself, of course. Do you hear the same distortion when you put the bass in passive mode? If not, that might at least rule out a problem with the jack or loose wiring or fret issues and focus your attention on the preamp.

Mike

5. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    amp? do you have a good amp. Do you have the gain on too high. Try running it flat bass on 0 no effects, tone on 0 eq on 0. If it still hums it maybe your cable, or that the pickups are too close. Maybe it might be that it doesnt have humbuckers because they normally eliminate the hum (yet my bass doesnt hum and it doesnt have hummys), other than that, well i am cream crackered