1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb - New Pre and Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fastplant, Feb 26, 2008.

1. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have a few questions that I can't seem to get answered anywhere else. Hopefully I can explain this well enough. I think that's why I'm running into confusion.

I have a Warwick Thumb 5 Neckthrough that I plan on ordering a new preamp and pickups for this week.

I've decided on the Augilar OBP-3 and the Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pounders (SJ5-3).

My questions are these:

1) Will the SD's fit in the Thumb with no problem?

2) After looking on-line I can't figure out which configuration of the Aguilar pre I should get. Available options are on this site:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp3-preamp.htm.

I'm assuming I should order the stacked basic kit, but I really have no idea.

In desparate need of guidance here, haha. Thanks guys!

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, got most of my questions answered, but I'm still concerned about the pots and my knobs matching. The Aguilar pots are: "top shaft of the
    concentric and the regular shaft should be 6mm. The bottom part of the
    concentric shafts should be 8mm." Per the email I got from Best Bass Gear.

Does anyone know the specs on a stock Warwick Thumb 5 NT circa 2003 or so?

3. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
  4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just put an Aguilar 2-band in my '96 Corvette. It sounds amazing! However, the Warwick knobs do not fit on the Aguilar stack pot. I had to get all knew knobs after replacing not just the stack but the volume and blend as well. (See thread titled "Damn Dog" for back story.) No idea on the pickups as I stuck with the old MECs.

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks guys, I'll order some new knobs too! Yeah, I'm psyched to hear this thing when it's all done!

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    +1
    MEC pickups are not bad, maybe you should just swap the preamp.

7. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    I put Seymour Duncan electronics in my Warwick and the blend pot won't fit the stacked knob. Can I order a knob that will fit from Warwick? Or do I have to go elsewhere? I'd like to keep the original look of the bass.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm really not a fan of the pickups or the pre. Worst case, if I don't like it I'll still have the MECs and can reinstall them.

9. You're going to need to order the 2 pickup, 3 knob configuration and then select the option to have the mid-select/mid frequency combined on one pot. That way you have three pots and no mid switch. Everything should fit fine.

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, thanks. I contacted Best Bass Gear and they filled me in on what I need. I'll be getting the 2 pickup, 3 knowb kit, 2 concentric knobs and 1 regular knob. And the SD Basslines Quarterpounders.

However, no one has said if these will fit with no porblem. Anyone know?

11. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Let me know how everything works when you get done with this project.
    I got a Warwick not long ago and i'm not too excited about the sound of it,so i'm thinking i should change pick ups and pre amp but would like to get some feedback.

12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Will do. I like the sound of my Thumb, I just know it has so much more potential. I'll try to record something and post it up once everything is done. Haven't even ordered the parts yet though, so it'll be a bit.

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bumping for my question on if anyone has replaced the pickups in their Thumb for Bassline Quarterpounders. I measured last night and now I'm afraid they won't fit and I'll need some work done to get them in there. Help!

14. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, called Best Bass Gear and talked to Brian (super cool guy, by the way). Turns out the Basslines won't fit after all. The ears are in a bad spot. So after talking to him I decided on the Bartolini 59CBJDs instead along with the Aguilar OBP-3. I'll post some samples once everything's in.

15. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Ok cool..thx

16. funkymonk77

funkymonk77

Jan 21, 2008
    you wont be dissapointed with the bart's, i just got my bass back yesterday, had the 2 band bart eq and quad coil barts put in my thumb 6, holy hell what power...

17. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Awesome! Glad to hear it. The pickups and pre are out for delivery right now. I just need to set up an appointment to get them installed.

18. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, the Thumb goes in for surgery tomorrow!

19. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Got the bass back finally. Played around with it quite a bit tonight. It sounds fantastic. Took me a while to decide what tone settings were the best. There's almost no bad tone to come from it. But some were obviously better than others. We should be recording some stuff with the band soon, so I'll post something up. My recording stuff is in boxes in storage from moving so I won't be able to post anything right away.

20. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    I want a new preamp for my Thumb BO 5. Any suggestions on what exactly I should order? I hate the MEC preamp and I want more versatility too?
    Any suggestions and help?