Warwick Thumb NT and Inlays.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I just purchased a 2001 Warwick Thumb NT with an ebony fretboard. It's blank :(.. I was thinking to give Wicky a little touch of life by giving him some

I'm thinking these:

Plus a few on the body, around the curve of the lower horn, and some on the upper back curve of the body. Plus, maybe a little wingy design on the headstock.

I've decided on a single inlay for the 12th fret (just as a start)

It's the fourth one down.
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    how are you going to inlay those??? and is your thumb fretless??
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I did the measurements, they fit inbetween the frets. I'll get them done by a local luthier.

Plus, the stangorian theorem of fretification inlayage states that E=inlays squared to the fourth power of the length of your shortest eyelash.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Have you ever questioned yourself before posting such an stupid answers???? (if not let me tell you that you should)
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They make perfect sense. :D
  6. Way to take everything seriously, dude. Chill.
  7. +1
  8. RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    Ebony shrinks over time. If its fretless, theyll stick up after a while and buzz. But you probably already knew that
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's fretted, so I'm not looking for a whole down the neck thing. Just a few classy things on the 3rd, 5th, etc... Or maybe even less than that.. You know the deal.. As far as the headstock goes, I just want something in the middle and some wingish things around the W logo. And, the body will have some things around the pickups. (Bubinga body by the way)
  10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Sounds really cool to me. As long as it's done well it should look great.
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Put the inlays in really random places, like the 13th fret and the 2nd and the 17th or somethign like that, I'd leave the head blank, maybe if you added the inlays on the head it would remove from the thumbs overall schlong-esque appearance :D and I don't really know about the body could end up being cool, could end up hideous. Good luck wiht whatever you do!
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'll also take magic marker and draw an 11 next to the volume knob, for you.
  13. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i did that on my guitar
  14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Dont do it! Just my .02

15. +1
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Yeah, doing that would be like putting a carbon fiber wing on a classic car.

Logical Reasons Not to Add Inlays
    1. Kill all resale
    2. You could eventually tire of the appearence
    3. Will cost lots of money (150-200ish, I would guess)
    4. Will throw off the Warwick "look"

Reasons to Add inlays
    1. You think it's cool; which is kind of a bad reason.

Again, I would advise you not to add inlays, but it is your bass, so do what you want with it.
  17. What he said.
  18. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've decided to add one inlay. 12th fret.. It looks quite nice, and it'll be about 30$ for installation and purchase.

I'm also getting some nice tuning pegs, but that's next week.
  19. *cough* *waste of money* *cough*

It would just be stupid and irrelevant to put one inlay in and waste that money. It could go for better usage. But as said before, its your bass, you do what you want with it.
  20. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm not going overboard on the inlay. It's one little 12th fret thing used as a point of orientation.. Better than a dot.