Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb NT: Brass vs Standard Plastic nut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Franklin229, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I am about to switch the plastic "adjusta nut" on my Warwick Thumb NT 5 fretless, antisipating an improvement in sustain. Has anyone done this and if so, was there a noticable difference?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Brass , i would assume, would be better, and more..sustainful.

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the reason why they replaced the brass with graphite is because it would have "unexplained" buzzing. like youd be playing and buzz, stop fix it, then it does it again, then it stops fo awhile, then 4 hours later starts and stops again. personally, i would carve out a brass nut that's not adjustable, i mean, on my NT thumb 4 i have never adjusted it, net when i string up i have to string them all differently so it won't get all lopsided. and then the d*mn 2 piece bridge is a hassle to keep the strings on when restringing. i'd put a kahler on it but the top is radiused. I'd sell it, but it is just o so nice

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    BrowneBass_210,

As far as the stringing goes, the Warwick bridge is easy to string- you just have to do it backwards. Put the ball end in the bridge slot, then trim the string to length, about 1.5 tuners past the tuner the string goes to.

Then take the ball end out of the bridge.

Now push the cut end all the way down into the tuner slot, and then wind the string around the tuning post twice.

Then put the ball end into the bridge slot. You may have to slightly tighten/loosen the tuning key to get the ball end into the bridge slot. But once it's in, tune up like a "normal" bass.

Works great, and the string doesn't twist on itself while tuning, so tuning is more stable. You can do 2 tuners past and do three wraps, but I find 1.5 tuners and 2 wraps give just enough behind the nut downward angle without binding.

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya i know that but i still don't like it. but the nut like falls to the side when i get one string on, then i gotta move em around and ehhh i just gets old

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    A drop of Loc-Tite solves the problem.

Warwick brass adjustable nut is the best.

If I was getting a newer model, I'd either special order
    one with a Brass Nut and Inset strap locks, or
    do it after-market.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I think I'm going to keep my new Thumb, after getting better acquainted with it this week. I'm going to inset the strap locks, and move the butt end strap lock off-center (above the center line) to improve strap balance.

And I'm probably going to have a bone nut put on, though with the aesthetic of this bass, I may see if my guy can work with black corian. The plastic is workable, but I'm not a fan of brass nuts. That said, this bass may benefit from the added high end of brass. Still, I'll probably go with bone.

8. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Guys-thanks for the comments. I wound up putting the brass nut on last night. It does make a difference. As anticipated, the strings are more "live" and more sensitive to finger pressure. If it starts to buzz, as Finger Blister said, a little loctite will do-no biggie.

BTW-I can't believe how crappy the plastic nut is on these rather expenive basses. If you are not a fan of brass, then as stated, an alternative material should be used like bone or Corian.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I wouldn't change it, personally. I tweak setups like a mofo, and one of those Just-A-Nut II's have me drooling when I think about them. It's just another one of those Warwick touches that makes me GAS for a Warwick, even though I hate the neck profile and feel.

That said...a brass Just-A-Nut II would definitely be ideal. I'd love to put brass nuts on my basses and guitar, but it's just another cost I can't justify at the moment.

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    +1

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    No offense to current warwick users, but I think that their newer neck through thumbs sound like muddy **** compared to the pre 98, or even better, the late 80's early 90's thumbs.
    I've owned a 94 5string and it simply killed. The newer ones are very shoddy.
    My dream warwick is a thumb neckthrough built to the standards of old, with wide 19mm spacing, wenge instead of ovankol, and slanted soapbars like a Ritter bass instead of the MEC jazz pups.