1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Thumb NT or Streamer stage 1 NT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trauma Boy, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Trauma Boy

Trauma Boy

Apr 22, 2009
    cleveland ohio
    So I've finally choosed to go towards Warwick instead of Musicman. Now I've beaten myself into another debate, this one I'm going blind into.

I went up to a few music stores (Guitar Centers, the only one near me for another 30 miles) and they didn't have any Thumbs or Streamers in stock for me to play on to make my own decision. So I asked if there are any stores that have Thumbs or Streamers and they said "Nope, you'd have to go online to get them" and I'm not going to order one wait 2 weeks for it to come in and then decide I don't like it and have the beautiful bass wait and wait for years for someone to buy it.

So I ask, seeing that I'm going to be ordering one or the other blindly via internet or somewhere else, Warwick Thumb 5 string NT or Streamer Stage 1 5 string NT (the streamers with the soap pickups, I've played both before years back when stores had em' in stock, but that was years ago when I didn't have money) What's your choice? Warwick Thumb 5 string NT or Streamer Stage 1 5 string NT??

I play metal and some jazz and some blues and well everything, I like to slap and pop, finger, and pick. I'm short with some meat but I'm not a weakling, my back can take a beating and it has, with not too stubby fingers (I can play a 5 string) I've been playing for 5 years now. I play through a Trace Elliot 150 watt older amp, an Ampeg 1x15 300watts with a Basson 2x10 at 500watts. (I know I should get a more powerful amp but the Trace can hold it's own, but the amp is next on my list)

Also if anyone out there can help me out, wheres the best trusted place you'd go to to order off line or through a store?? I live in the suburbs Cleveland Ohio

Thank you!

2. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'd go with the SS1, just for the versatility factor. I used to have a 5 string Thumb and LOVED it for what it could do, but I also loathed it for what it couldn't..

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The SS1.

I love that aircraft-carrier fingerboard, and it actually balances, unlike the Thumb. (Although the Thumb tone is killer)

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`d say Streamer Stage II (I know it`s not an option but I love that bass).

I agree that the Thumb also has a killer tone but I don`t like its balance.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Listen to some older Incubus.

Problem solved.

6. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    SSI

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I sold 2 Thumbs because they were incapable of sounding like anything else than a Thumb. I never had any balance issues, though.

Another thought: Warwicks have some of the worst resale around. A bass that will run $5,000 new (street) at the store will usually go for less than $2,000 used. Just a thought when considering a Warwick.

At least that was my experience when I bought and sold both Thumbs. They are in the TB classifieds all the time.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I love the tone of my bolt on Thumb, but if I was buying a Warwick now, I would get the SS1 instead. The Thumb, although great sounding, always sounds like a Thumb, and also, nothing else sounds like a Thumb either. So like Marmite, you'll either love it or hate it. The SS1 is much more versatile in it's tonal palette.

I also discovered over the years that the Thumb isn't the most ergonomic of designs. You may not get back pains carrying it, but you may get shoulder aches and left hand cramping up from the seemingly mile long neck due to teeny tiny body.

It is on the other hand the nicest and fastest neck I've ever played. I've never been able to get the action as low and buzz free on any other bass.

9. do the BO thumbs have that classic growl like the NT does? ive played a few used thumb bo but they never seemed to reproduce that tone. -joep

10. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    my BO thumb is very growly. i think the BO is growlier:bag:(the punch from the bolt-on design is nice too)

11. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    The only thing in common they have is the W on the headstock.
    Two completely different basses.

I hope you wouldn't really buy online basses so expensive, without ever have tried one before

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Streamer. Some of the sexiest basses around.

I've never played either, but I went to GC and the 4-string thumb I played had some neck dive issues, I can't imagine what a 6er would be like for me. The Streamer body looks bigger, so I doubt balance is an issue.

+1 to the Old Incubus comment.

13. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    As others have said...

A Thumb sounds like a Thumb. Which I like and that will be my next big dollar bass for sure.

Streamers are great a more versatile. I'd have one of those after I bought a Thumb.

I recently picked up Corvette 5 $$ at GC for $1000 and I have to say it is the most versatile bass I have ever played in my short time playing. It does a good P bass tone, a reasonable J tone, a Musicman tone and then with both humbuckers on it just gets knarly.

Finally GC is blowing out all their Warwicks so you should be able to pick up a good deal. The store in my area (Roseville, CA) had a NT Thumb 5 for $1999 and then I told you what I paid for mine. If I find a good deal I am going to buy another Corvette in 4 string I am so digging what I have.

14. Trauma Boy

Trauma Boy

Apr 22, 2009
    cleveland ohio
    nice thank you all! but I can't find any any streamer stage 1 5 strings for sale anywhere on line?? except for basscentral.com...that place trustworthy? good? any reviews from them??

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Bass Central gets good reviews on this board.

Look at the GC used, look on TB classifieds, check craigslist, and bass central,

16. Trauma Boy

Trauma Boy

Apr 22, 2009
    cleveland ohio
    the guitar center in my area doesn't have streamers or craigslist, i haven't checked the TB classifieds yet thank you

17. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm considering a Corvette 5 $$ also. Everything that I have heard and read are very positive. Also, it's cheaper than a Streamer.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

18. Trauma Boy

Trauma Boy

Apr 22, 2009
    cleveland ohio
    I already own a Corvette Rockbass (which is for sale) and it sounds good i just don't like it, doesn't feel right when I put it on and play on it.

19. Underworld

Underworld

Apr 25, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    Bass Central is a good place to buy from. I've made two substantial purchases from them and both were smooth and pleasant transactions.

Judging by the type of music you play, I'd suggest the Streamer over the Thumb, as I think you'll get more out of it.