Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb NT vs Streamer Stage II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedVampyre, Mar 12, 2005.

1. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I am trying to make my mind up as to which one to go with. The extra growly Thumb NT with a beautiful bubinga pommelé body or a Streamer Stage II with its tight low-end but more bare looking Afzelia body. I'd probably take the Streamer in a 5 string to get the full effect of the tight low-end on the B string, while I'd go with a 4 string Thumb. Both will be new. I like the Ovankol neck better than the Wenge. I will be getting a Just-a-Nut I instead of the Just-a-Nut II as I already have 2 basses with the II (Vampyre LTD 4 and Rockbass Fortress 4).

What are your thoughts?

2. It's growl versus punch. Your choice. I'm biased to the Thumb.

3. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned both. +1 on the thumb!

4. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Thanks guys. I've been leaning towards the Thumb since I decided to get another bass, but the Streamer Stage II sure is a nice bass too.

Anybody else?

5. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I have a Thumb NT 5 Thumb NT 5 Fretless and Streamer Stage II. The Stage does not have the rich mid-low end tone that the Thumb has. The Stage is a much better funk/slap machine and has a tone all to itself. For me, the Stage is a great change of pace from a lot of clinical sounding modern instruments out there. My opinion-but I am not into EMG's or even a lot of the Bart tones at all. The Stage II is a modern bass with a "classic" rich sound, almost as if Fender or Musicman were to make a boutique bass.

6. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'm after that low-mid tone so I guess I'll stick to the Thumb... I'm not into EMG's or Bartolinis myself... I actually really dig the stock MEC/BEC stuff.

Which one of the two do you play the most? Is there a great weight difference between the two?

Thanks for the info!

7. Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I play the fretless most often. I find that it cuts through recordings nicely and has a great bottom end. The thumb, although slighty lighter than the Stage feels heavier probably due to the balance of the bass. The tendancy for neck dive with the Thumb is probably the big issue for most-doesn't bother me.

8. Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Also-I ordered brass nuts for all my basses and am very pleased with the improvement in sustain and tone. Plus, you can adjust the hieght of each string individually. They can be ordered through Danabgoods.com (no affiliation) and are relatively easy to install.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Between those 2, the Thumb. My choice overall? The Stage 1 5.

10. Franklin229

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    The Stage 1 is no slouch either-sounds great as well-I just preferred the JJ set-up. Anyone looking for a Stage should play both the 1 and II to hear the difference.