Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb or Stingray 5 ?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SONICATTACK, Jul 14, 2002.

Warwick or Stingray?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2003.
  1. Warwick Thumb 5

53 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. Stingray 5

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Other

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Here's the story, my producer was recording me on my Carvin LB 75. while I was playing a phrase we heard a slight harmonic on the D string. I couldn't stop it no matter how hard I tried. and we tried to notch filter it out, to no avail. I told him that I was thinking of buying a Warwick Thumb 5, but he hasn't recorded any Warwicks, He really digs stingray's. So he said I had 3 options . . #1 get my Carvin fixed with the chance that It still won't work. #2 Get the Warwick for $2200.00, and the chance being that it won't work. #3 Order a Stingray 5 and if I don't like it he'd buy it off me for what I paid for it.
    The option I obviously picked was #3. It should be getting to my house tommorow. But I still have to make the decision to sell it to him.
    So should I sell him the Stingray and get a Warwick latter on or should I just keep the Stingray cause it's a killer bass (so I hear) and the chance being that I'll get the sounds I need from the Stingray. . . .

My band play's heavy Rock.

Thank you very much for your responces!

Let me know.....

:)

2. I think I would get the thumb and tell the producer to find a way to handle it in the recording!

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Heavy rock= Warwick

They are great for downtuning, and im sure you will be doing that. ;). Id say you cant do wring with the warwick!

BUT if you are using a plectrum, id lean a bit more towards the stingray, but even the warwicks sound bloddy good with a plectrum. All up, id say the warwick is the better hand ;)

4. nathan321

nathan321

Jul 2, 2002
    Was this for just one particular note on the D string (or just the open string)? Or for every note on the D string?

If it's just one particular note I would argue that it doesn't really matter: that's just character, and it's unlikely anyone will notice outside of the studio anyway. And you can presumably play that note on another string if it really bothers you. (Since you hadn't noticed before it obviously hasn't bothered you or the other band members much.) If you want a new bass anyway then fine, but if you're otherwise happy with the Carvin does a 'slight harmonic' matter?

Before you buy a whole new bass of any kind, have you tried putting a different D string on the Carvin to see (hear) what happens?

N.™

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Sounds to me that this guy likes Stingray 5's. As he (says he) is willing to buy it, let him buy it up front as he has the greater knowledge and wisdom in these matters (where's the sarcasm smiley?)

6. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Two great and different basses; should you choose the Thumb, try one before buying, the bubinga-wenge neck weights a couple of tons even on my 4 strings, so it dives a little. I feel confortable with it, but many don't like it

7. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    MusicMan 5 string records exceptionally well.

8. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    I voted for the Warwick because I love mine, but if you already have the stringray what do you think? I suppose this is obvious, but if you love the stingray...keep it. If you don't, keep looking around. Try out the Thumb. You may love it, or hate it.
    Seems like people either really love or really hate warwicks. I'm in the love camp, so I suggest you check one out :)
    (I still haven't figured out how to post smilies)

9. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    now look at that...my first smilie, and I didn't even know I was making one. Indulge me to try again!

:)
    ;)

10. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Interesting, the engineer I worked with liked my Warwick much much better than my stingray 5 . . .

11. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    What did he like about it??

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    i voted Thumb, coz I've got one.

I remember reading on the Warwick site a quite some time ago, a comment from a Warwick endorsing seesion player. He said that every seesion bassist should have at least 3-4 basses. They're main one, a spare similar to the main, a fretless (if that's your bag), and a fender. The reson for the fender its tha a lot of engineers only think of bass tone in one way...fender. A lot of the old school engineers simply can't work, or really understand how to work with different types of equally viable bass tones. In their eye's (or ears), if it don't sound like a fender, then it's a crap bass tone.

I could be wrong, but maybe this engineer who's not sure about the thumb, and would rather you go for a stingray, has said so for this very reason. after all a stingray sounds a hell of a lot more like a fender than a thumb does. (probably something to do with the leo fender link somewhere down the path)

13. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    either will work - did you want a tone closer to your Carvin - if so, go for the Thumb; if not, go for the 'Ray...

14. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    ga_edwards

I think you hit the nail on the head. . . . Now that I think about it his whole studio is filled with vintage equipment. . . He's pretty much fully anti digital.
    So I guess the same would go with his tastes in bass tones.
    All he probably hears is Stingray. He's really good at what he does so I totally trust him in what he wants to do with my bass tone. Why wouldn't I?!

I think I decided to sell the stingray to the Engineer/Producer and get a Warwick. I tried one out a couple times at Guitar Center and each time I imediatly started writing new bass lines.. usually that's a sign that your instrument is feeding back the effort.
    So I'll have to crank up the old Credit card. and start makin' weekly payments to get it payed off in a reasonable amount of time. :rolleyes:

Thank you

Keep the comments rollin in there's still time . . . . . .

15. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I just got a new Warwick thumb 5 bolt on for under $1,500.00. You shouldn't have to pay $2,200.00 unless you're buying a neck through. I recently posted for advice on the Thumb and most comments came back in favor of the bolt on. I suppose that it is personal taste. Bass Central is where I got mine.

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I voted other.. But let me say I have done recordings with my stingray 5 (that i don't have anymore) and it does very nicely. I've played but never recorded on a thumb and it also plays nicely... however, i voted other because well.. I trade my ray 5 plus some cash last weekend for an Elrick bass and I must say it is the best bass that I have ever played, even better than the fodera emporer bass i lusted after for awhile.. and it was about 1/4 of the price... I will now admit that there is something to be said about handmade instruments.... ;)

17. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    i got a music man sterling awhile ago and its a great bass. About a month ago i got a warwick custom 5 and its the best bass i have ever played in my whole life. My band just recorded and it sounds great, i play slap, funk stuff rock and everything but punk. It sounds really good:)

18. SONICATTACK

SONICATTACK

Sep 26, 2001
    in the sun
    Well I bit the bullet yesterday. we called Musicians Friend cause we haven't recieved the bass yet. It was supposed to get to my house 3 weeks ago (it was nextday aired) and they kept saying that it was on a loading dock somewhere in the shop, or it didn't go out cause of this or that, and then finally yesterday they told me that they were back- ordered:mad: :confused:
    So I called my engineer up and asked him if he wanted to try the Warwick instead. So I went to Guitar Center and bought a Warwick neck-thru Thumb 5!!!:cool: :D
    oh and we began recording on it and the engineer is totally stoked with the tone it has. :)

So needless to say Im happy!

19. Just an aside to this thread, it seems like you see lots of Stingray 5's up for auction on Ebay. You see the occasional Warwick, but always plenty of Rays. Wonder why that is?

20. strange huh ?
    I own a Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman (5) and I vote Stingray ...

why's that ?
    well, I personally don't understand the big hype around the thumb .. okay .. it's a good bass, but if you look at the sound, I prefer (personally) the stingray for it's rich tone ..
    I think the thumb produces a more "dark sound" ..

but offcourse , I still love my F.N.A. .. :)