Warwick thumb pick up change to fender jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LockieJ, Mar 8, 2019.

1. LockieJ

LockieJ

May 23, 2014
    Hey dudes,
    I've got a warwick thumb BO 4 string and I love the tone of it but it's a bit thin.
    Ive always loved the thick chunky tone of the fender jazz bass and was thinking if it's possible to put 1 fender jazz pick up in it and try get a crossover of the two tones.
    I have limited knowledge on the technical side of things but I have a good idea of what I want tonewise. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Cheers.

2. Jake Kinsch

Jake Kinsch

Jun 9, 2015
    Nashville
    Well presumably your warwick currently has active electronics in it. So you cant mix and match active and passive components, so you would either need to completely rewire it to go full passive. In my opinion, if you want the sound of a Fender Jazz Bass, then get a Fender Jazz Bass. There is no use trying to make your warwick into a jazz bass because it will always be a warwick

3. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Also, the pickup location and wood density on the Thumb is going to give you an element of that signature tone regardless of what pick ups you choose, active or passive. I struggled with mine for years because it simply did not fit the type of music that I found myself playing most. If you need a more supportive tone with the Thumb, I would recommend exploring some flats.

LockieJ likes this.
  4. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    Change the EQ on your amp. Or preamp. It will help get the lows you want. However it will always sound like a thumb bass no matter what pickups you use.

LockieJ and Jake Kinsch like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021