Warwick thumb problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bayareabassist, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Hey,
    This morning I was playing my Warwick thumb b/o.
    All the sudden a loud pop is heard through my amp. Now my bass can't be heard anymore. What should I do? Should I send it back to Warwick, or take it to Guitar center to have it looked at? Any other suggestions?
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The day my Warwick took a dump it was the output jack that was broken.
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    If it's somewhat new I'd take to Guitar Center, I remember my friend's dad bought a Les Paul and it had a scratch on it, he brought it to Guitar Center, and they have him tons of free stuff to compensate. If isn't under warranty try and find a local luthier to check it out. I believe someone said to replace an input jack it only costs $10.
  4. Is it the amp or the bass?

Is there power on the amp (house fuse/breaker tripped)?
    Have you checked the fuse in the amp? Try turning the amp on, leave the volume control nearly all the way down, disconnect the bass, and just touch the centre of the plug with your finger - can you hear a hum in the amp? If you can, then it's not likely to be the amp.

Try changing the input cable (between the bass & the amp).

Have you checked the battery/batteries in the back of the bass?

Hope this helps -
    - Wil
  5. I did all of that, and still no dice.
  6. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    sort of had the same thing 2 weeks ago. it was the electronics, some socket(?) was a bit loose. fixt it, no more problems.

take the cap off and look at the elecs, make sure everything is secured. just gently check everything, maybe it will save u a trip to the store or ur bass a trip to the factory.
  7. My Thumb did exactly the same thing, it turned out to be a faulty socket. Take it to a good Guitar Shop and they'll fix it.
  8. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    It`s most likely the output jack, that`s a well known problem with Warwick basses
  9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Wow, thats funny, take it back to Guitar Center and have it looked at. This what they will say "I dunno, looks like a bass to me".
    The GC (three of them here in the Detroit area) are 99% of the time riddled with idiots. Find a good smaller shop to really have it gone over.
    GC has no repair facility, so they won't fix it for you. Something like a broken jack would cause them to send it back to Warwick.
    I go to Guitar Center to shop, I go elsewhere to buy. Almost every shop here in town will match GC prices and you'll get great customer service as well. A point that GC misses most of the time.
  10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I find mike at the Canton guitar center to be extremely intelligent about basses, but he wont do repair through GC. He's the reason so many of the stingrays there were strung in fifths starting from E. He did lots of tapping, and enjoyed the higher, lighter strings. However, he has been promoted to assistant manager, and no longer spends much time in the bass room. Where in the detroit area do you go for repairs, set-ups, etc? I'm having trouble finding a good place. Plenty of great guitar techs, but none of them understand that basses are a totally different monster.

Where in the area are you from, anyway?
  11. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Warwick are natorius for having crappy out put jacks.All of mine but my streamer had problems.
  12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

I'm sure there are a few guys that may have passed through the doors there but for the most part...............
    Try Mike Kuntz in Ferndale, built basses for Bootsy (the original Star bass) or Mark Balish(sp?) at the Music Stand in Berkley. Mark or Mike are both great guys. Also try Tom Palirito. He's out near Ann Arbor. He is on a first name basis with Roger Sadowsky, in fact Roger will honor his work when a Sadowsky is in need of repair when under warrinity.
    Also check out my good friends @ Low Down Sound (my fav place! www.LowDownSound.com) also in Ferndale. Good guys and freakin' nice basses!

I'm in Ferndale. Between 8 & 9 Mile off of Woodward.
  13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Grew up out in south lyon, live in westland currently, and will be moving to farmington hills in a month. 9 mile and Drake. Glad to find some TBers in my area! Gig around here much?

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My Streamer Stage I 5 started popping and eventually died. I mentioned this to Dana B. Goods and they sent me a replacement output jack for free. But when I took it to my repair guy, he sprayed the control cavity with contact cleaner, retested the bass, and wahlah: problem solved. Gotta love freebie repairs!
  15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Yeah, I gig here and there.
    Played with the M80s/Mega80s for awhile. Also with Blackman & Arnold, Skeleton Crew and quite a few others.
    We need to have a GTG here in Detroit soon!!!
    BTW (and I'll post this up else where) Detroit BassFest in November with Norm Stockton, Matt Garrison and others!!
    Matt Garrison was just added so he may not be listed yet.
    And oh yeah, I never had a problem with the jacks on any of the Warwicks I owned (started to highjack the thread-sorry!!)