Warwick Thumb, pull knob, bypass preamp, leave cord plugged in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by synterx, Jan 24, 2005.

1. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    I've always had basses with active electronics (peavey cirrus', and usa millennium), so I got used to always unplugging the cord as to not wear down the batteries...well I just got a super deal on a Warwick Thumb 4 bolton, and read in the manual that when you pull up the volume knob, it bypasses the preamp/eq circuit...does that mean that knob can also act as an on/off switch of sorts? If I leave the cable in, but pull the knob up when done, will the battery be bypassed as well?

Can anyone confirm or deny this? That would rock...

BTW, what a nice bass...wow! I paid $600 bucks out the door with not a scratch on it, Warwick bag/case (really well built), full owners manual, tools, strap locks, etc...might be my new "keeper" bass, and the ol' trusty cirrus maple might be going bye bye...
  2. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Nope, pulling it into passive mode just bypasses the preamp it does not disengage the "on" switch. Any time the cord is plugged into the bass you will be draining juice.
  3. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    bummer...I always thought of rigging up a "on-off" switch somehow, but was concerned it could be knocked during a gig and that would be no good...but this knob thing is perfect for that, it's always down, you can't really bump it up...man, someone ought to come up with a mod like that. replace the volume or pickup pot with a "pull up" one, and have the pull up cut the signal to the battery...I wonder if that could be done...when you put your wireless pack on the strap, as many do like myself, and you want to switch basses quickly, I have to remember to unplug, then plug the new one in, back and forth....oh well, thanks for setting me straight
  4. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    As you can see on my reply in the "Is active louder..thread. This is yet another misconception I had with the pull knob on my new 55-01. I need to read the specs sheets twice or at least keep active (pun intended) on this site.
  5. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    That's 100% right.

You have to unplug the bass if you want to save your battery.