Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plantman, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Plantman

Plantman

Feb 5, 2001
    Found a good deal on a warwick thumb neck thru 4. about to lay down the cash. any good or bad experiences with this bass would be helpful. it puts a smile on my face. but i haven't moved in with it yet. if you know what i mean. thanks

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    buy it! I played it once through my trace combo and it sounded amazing. After, i bought stingray and was little dissapointed. With thumb you can get any sound you want

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The only minor gripe people seem to have about the Thumb is neck dive. But that is nothing that can´t be cured with a good strap.

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I'm a Thumb devotee. I LOVE that bass, it's my favoured bass ever. I love the small body and the 26 frets. I love the older ones only, though. The new ones have awful pickups and hardware and an ugly Ovangkol neck. Be careful, and if you can do it, try an older one before you buy an actual one... just my council.

5. Agreed, I have a thick strap and have almost no neck dive problem at all on my Thumb 5. Its an awesome sounding bass IMO, GO FOR IT!!!!

6. The neck dive is also a body shape thing.
    If you can't try it with a strap I say pass.

I used light weight hipshots, thick comfort strap, and also tried a thick leather strap. The neck dive was still to much for me to want to deal with.

7. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

Thumb neck thru 4???
    Mhm, a really beautiful piece of wood.
    My old 89 Thumb make me feel in heaven when i play it.
    Pros:
    Ergonomic (and well looking) body, pleasing neck and FANTASTIC SOUND
    Cons:
    Heavy with a very heavy neck that dives a little, but i find it very confortable.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto on much of the above.

I have a Corvette and wound up getting a MM afterward (which is now my main bass). After living with the Warwick I realized that I was pretty unhappy with the weight of it. Wasn't a big deal in the store - in fact I was happy to have a real solid peice of wood - but after jumping around with it for a while I really wanted something lighter.
    I'm pretty sure the Thumb bolt on is made of bubinga, as is mine.

Also, IMO and experience, bubinga is a very deep sounding wood - it can get somewhat muddy on my corvette, and while the treble control can definitely make it cut through in a mix it tends to get real crispy and clackety sounding. I dig in when I play and I've learned that Warwicks respond much better to a softer touch.

I know there's a lot of debate about this, I would really only go with one of the older models. Anything before they stuck that plastic nut in I think is a completely different and better animal. When I bought my Warwick I LOVED the feel the smell the sound the look the presence of all Warwicks. The newer ones just don't have the same care put into their construction (again IMO). I've played lots of them - the electronics seem faulty, the necks are a mix of cheaper woods, most of them are getting abused by people in the stores.

I'd suggest sitting with a few different ones a couple of times before taking the dive. As I said - I'm much more happy with my MM, and I disagree about being able to get any sound out of the Warwic. I've never owned a Thumb, but I had a Streamer MM and the above mentioned - and they really have one basic sound that can be tweaked.

Last note: There is such a thing as a Warwick growl - none of my other basses can get it.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    A used Warwick Thumb NT is a known quantity. If you find one for $1,250 or less, buy it, 'cause even if you ABSOLUTELY HATE IT you'll have no trouble getting your money back. They pretty much bottom out at $1,200 and I see them go in the $1,500 - 1,800 range from time to time.

Peace,

James

10. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    DITTO! :D
    Glad to read your opinion, Mal! :)

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

12. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe

13. Go For it!, i have a Thumb 5 and it is the greatest bass i have ever played in sound, looks, playability

14. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    If you like it that much, have the shop put a hold on it for 2 weeks. Start scouring eBay for an older one at or around the same price. If you don't find one, go ahead and pick up the one at the shop. But, if you find an older one (say 1987-1991), you will not be disappointed.

Jim

15. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    The first year of the Thumb is 1985 :rolleyes:

16. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    ... I don't know if I should write it here, but my lovely '87 Thumb is on eBay right now... it's lightest and growly! ;)

17. mrsfnkta

mrsfnkta

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, yeah, and the Streamer came out in '84...

No, seriously, I gave the 1987-1991 range 'cause I figured those years were within the realm of possibility (price range, availability, quality). However, your (dreadhead) Thumb is a good deal, even with the wear. Warwicks, with the oil-and-wax finish, are notoriously easy to clean up. Good luck selling it; I am shocked that it hasn't garnered higher bids yet.

Jim

18. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Yes, it's really strange... I've sold the other ones for more than $1,500.00, and the reserve on this one is very very fair. Besides, the sound is simply amazing... punchy!
    If it doesn't sell I'll probably keep it, I wanted to sell it only to change brand and to see if I'm able to get the same sound with a different bass. Challenge!