1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick thumb question?

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by eno50, Aug 6, 2012.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello warwick fans .
    I been having cravings for a thumb bass and I have been looking at them all over this site and other that I can find.
    But I have a question I know there are NT 's and bolt ons and 4,5 and 6 stringers but there seems to be different pickup placements ,either two jazz close to the bridge basses and some with I think reg jazz spacing or different angles? Are these different models or years or options? and how do they differ in sound.
    What do I need to look of as far as pickup placement,I like bolt on neck ones?
    I know there are some warwick experts out there that can educate me on these....
    Thanks for your time....Eno

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The 4-string Thumb bass has different pickup position than the 5 and 6 string Thumb basses. The slant is for a better balance in frequency response across all the strings. On the 5 and 6 string basses, the position is to get a tighter sound for the low-B, as well as even frequency response. Pickup position greatly influences the overall tone of the bass, and the positioning was chosen to accentuate the clear and punchy tone of the Thumb bass. I hope this helps, please let me know if you've got any other questions, or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks!

3. I have the 4 string because I feel the 4 has more tonal options due to the pickup placement. But, the 5 sounds AMAZING and is the reason I was attracted to WW Thumbs in the 1st place.

4. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    Had the chance to try both a thumb NT 5 and one of the new pro serie bolton 5 at a store not far from home... Difference between both, but the main character is there, especially on the the low strings, may be because of the pickups... The bolt on was punchier and have a more pronunced attack and the NT has better sustain, more balance and darker smooth sound (to my ears at least). Not NT has some older string on it thought, not as bright as the bolt on... This may have modified my perception a bit... Personnally, I did prefer the NT for the sound, the comfort and the especially overall build... Man what a beast !! lol
    There's a price difference between both and you can justify why when you try both at the same time !!

5. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Thanks for the comments and feedback! Bolt-on's will tend to have more punch, and NT have more sustain - usually an inherent characteristic of those construction methods. But yes, the Thumb character is unique! Thanks again!

6. I own a Thumb Bolt-On 6 and love it. As WarwickOfficial indicated, it has a wicked punch. Once you get a chance to play and hear a Warwick Thumb, you will be able to identify its distinct sound in a song. I had always heard people talk about the Warwick "growl" but didn't quite understand it until I owned this instrument.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Played a nt Thumb and for want of a better word I always refered to as aggressive. The growl is another good way to put it.

It's the sound of wood.

8. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd like to say that the Warwick Vampire NT has a very crisp sound and awesome look in my opinion. Awesome wood choice on it