1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb Resale Value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I dont get it. These basses cost upwards of 3 grand new but yet this can barely sell for $1200.

Example:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Thumb-Bass-6String-?sku=519122

This bass is $3999.99 and the list is $4999.99

I put a Best offer on Ebay and I got tons of offers around the 900-1000 range. Is that what people think of the value of a Warwick Thumb honestly? I dont get it.:confused:

2. When I first started coming to Talkbass, which was not that long ago, Thumb Bolt Ons were around 1500 bucks new at Musician's Friend. Give or take 100 or 2.

I think its still in the collective conscience that the prices are around that. I am a fan of Warwick, I love just about every well set up bass they've made that I've gotten my hands on. But the prices, due to the lowering of the dollar and the wars in africa making their primary woods more scarce, have gotten a little out of hand lately.

Augment the re-sale value by adding in those people that are selling Thumbs at the old used prices since they themselves got the instruments at the old prices, and you are fighting a losing battle on upping your asking price.

3. MSRP=much more than the usual selling price
    Value=what they really sell for
    In 98 I paid $1300 for a Thumb BO-4, selling it a few years later for $850.
    I think saying they 'cost upwards of 3 grand(even for a NT)'is a bit inaccurate, & if you can get more than 1/2 of what you actually paid for a bass, IMO you're doing pretty well. Depreciation sucks, but it doesn't go away.

4. WarMan

WarMan

Feb 18, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Less than two weeks ago, I just purchased what was essentially a brand new one with all of the goodies in new, unused condition. A guy had traded it even for a Geddy. They had just got it in and put $1,300 as the price. They GC guy said it was a $1,600 bass, although their web site says $2,159. I got it for $1,150.

5. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    got my thumb for 1300 and the SSII for 1500

6. I bought my thumb BO 5 new in 04 for 1300. Sold it for 900 in flawless shape. I miss it now that I bring it up.:bawl:

7. fishhed

fishhed

Aug 18, 2006
    When I wanted my first "nice" bass I checked out values and got a BO Thumb. Warwick's Thumbs give you great quality for very cheap second hand prices. Also it means that the depreciation happened on some one else's watch - you can probably sell it for about what you paid.

I just can't see how they sell new ones when the used are such a deal and agree its strange to see such a price drop for used ones - only thing is 1) Thumb is probably too heavy for some - neck dive rumors are true unless you wear it tight and high and 2) Its a characteristic sound so if you dont love it...

Anyway I think it smokes almost anything else under $1,000.

Fishhed

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Totally. Every single bit of musical kit I've got (excepting cables, cases, other consumables) I bought used - including my thru-neck Warwick Thumb. :)

I actually prefer used basses anyway. Yeah sometimes you get one that needs fret work or whatever, but I still think a bass that has been "played in" feels better than a factory-fresh one.

9. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    awwww i miss my thumb :crying: thanks for reminding me!

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i dont know how well theyre moving new warwicks these days, not being on the sales end i couldn't give you the figures, but i know that when i bought my warwick in 2005 it was on clearance because it was a 2003 model that had been sitting in the store for quite some time.

likewise, this past presidents day, my local GC had an "indoor parking lot" sale and they were selling two brand new thumb nt 5's for 1300 each.