Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick thumb slap tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassboy_jordan, Mar 14, 2002.

1. I'm considering upgrading basses to a warwick thumb 4 string (bolt-on).
    However, I find testing them in stores is nothing like when you try an bass on your own rig, partly becuase of limited playing time, volume and set-up time, becuase you have to be considerate to the others in the store, etc.
    Now, to the point.
    Im wondering if the warwick thumb tends to have good slap tone.
    Any warwick lovers dont have to defend the bass, for i love the feel, sound, size and look of the basses. But while playing i didnt really find a slap tone i really wanted, even after playing with the tone and pickup configeration, it seemed a bit mid-rangey, kind of aggresive.

2. And on an un-related topic, is the thumb thru-neck worth the extra cash?
    eg. Bubinga compared to Ovangkol, etc.

3. And the most important questions. . .did you play it with a strap on? Did you enjoy the neck dive?
    Am I bitter?

4. I didnt find the neck dive to bad, i actually really liked the feel of it, i was wearing a thick strap however:D

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My Thumb is fretless and I don't slap much but

I do like soloing the neck pickup and fully boosting the treble and bass controls (when I had em long story) for a slap tone.

Try a EBMM Stringray as well.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    oh

Gruffy-hello, I'm back

7. Whats up you punk. Ha ha hows your mom.
    I saw your other thread.

Welcome back my freind.
    NO Smiles.

8. I had a thumb neck-through 5 string for awhile and I really didn't like it for slapping. My favorite slap sound came from a Modulus quantum 5. I sold the warwick because of the massive neck dive and the fact that the neck was so much different than some of my other basses. I loved the fingerstyle tone of that bass though.

Guffpuppy, as far as strap-ons go, I don't generally mix them with bass playing. :D

9. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Hey brah - I have the bolt-on 4, which I actually bought INSTEAD of the neck-thru. :eek: I just thought the bolt had more punch and growl. It's slap sound (and the fingerstyle sound, for that matter) IS very mid-rangey - but that's why I dug it, as I'm going for the Flea-ish slap tone - very thick midrange. That's part of the reason why they're known to cut through any mix. Sure, you won't get a 'Ray sound out of it - but get a MM if that's what you're going for.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you bring your rig (or part of it - say, the head and one cab) to test it out in the store, or lay down a deposit and take it home or to a practice. I have a Spector 4 with a fantastic slap tone when I'm jamming by myself, but it just sounds weak and doesn't cut through 2 120-watt half-stacks and a loud drummer. Real world situations determine everything. :)

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Isn't Stuart Zender's bass of choice the Thumb? I know he's obviously a Warwick guy, but I could've sworn I saw him playing the Thumb.

Anyway, if that is the case, then, as someone has already mentioned, it does have a very middy slap tone. Check out "Return of the Space Cowboy" or "Emergency on Planet Earth" for a good idea of the sound. If you like that sort of sound, then go for it.

Personally, I like a more MM-ish type sound, but that's just personal preference.

As for Warwicks in general, I own one and love it, save for the fretless neck, which has the brass frets ground down (wish I had a line-less neck for fretless). Great bass, but admittedly a little on the narrow side with respect to spacing, which is something else you need to consider when it comes to choosing a slap-worthy bass.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    :) thanks I smile now or is it wind?

An on topic suggestion is to use a comfort strapp (use the 2 p spelling in a meta engine like google). It helps the neck dive syndrome.

12. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    I think Stuart's main bass is a Streamer Stage II or a custom Streamer. (BTW, he gets fantastic tone! :D ) At any rate, they've got the same electronics as the Thumb bolt-on, just with a 3-band EQ instead of the 2-band. I know electronics aren't everything....BUT just dropping knowledge. ;) ;)

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Gruffpoopy

I just picked up on the hows your mom comment. She's in bed at the moment. You are evil do you know that? :D

14. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that.

On topic: I used a Comfort Strapp and a set of UltraLite Tuners. The thing still had a wicked neck dive. Maybe the body is just to small for me. I.e. Thunderbirds have a neck dive or so I have been told, I have never had a problem with them.

Nice to see you around.

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Stop playing open strings all the time, it wont dive then. :)

16. Good point, been playing a lot of DB so open strings are my life. Stop with the smiles I can't handle it.

17. I really love my Thumb5...warm, punchy and plum beyootifull. It' is really a terrific axe but the string spacing is so very tight. I have a Dolphin 5 w/ a wide neck that I love. Going between the two basses isn't that much fun, due to the string spacing. I like 'em flat and wide.
    Anybody replaced the MEC's in theirs? Both the preamps in my previous two Warwicks up and died. I can only expect the same to happen with this instrument as well. The 18v electronics are good...I just have to wonder how much better this bass could sound w/o MEC's in there...any suggestions?

[​IMG]