Warwick Thumb Substitute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drcor, Jan 10, 2006.

1. drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    I love a lot the sound and the feeling of Warwick Thumb Bo.
    But as you know there is the neck dive problem.
    The question is:
    is there a Warwick Thumb Bo substitute?
    The neck trough has the same sound and feeling?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Those who have both say that the NT has a different tone and feel.
    The Thumb Bleached Blonde is supposed to be lighter with less neckdive, but it is rare and more expensive...
    Some said the Infinity has a bit of the Thumb tone, but I'm not sure which it was: the LTD NT, the prototype J+MM, or the SN....
  3. Dolphins is supposed to solve the neck dive situation. No other bass has the thumb sound besides a thumb. But a dolphin is still in the warwick tone family... *shrug*
  4. drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    thanx for answers :) ...
    Could be a Warwick FNA jazzman limited 2004?
  5. Wow, now there's a winner!!! Extremely light-weight, and amazing tone/verasatile. The pickups on that beast is the same as 2000 LTD, a lot quieter and smoother from most warwicks and the wood selection is a more even round response. But it's further away from the thumb tone from regular warwicks but what's interesting is one's ability to dial in and dial out this tone.

If you're close to Florence I'll be back there soon and am considering selling mine... you could own #4 :smug: haven't decided yet on it's fate..... we'll see!!!
  6. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    MY old Korean Spector sounds like my Thumb at times. It'sd weird, as they are total opposites in terms of contrcution, woods and elextroncis, but they sound the same.
  7. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    If neck dive is your only reason not to consider warwick, I've seen on here some where that neck dive is curable getting a bunch or pennies or cents or quarters or what ever you guys have and taping them up into rolls then placing them inside the body of the bass. I don't know how much room is in the cavity at the back of the thumb but it could be a solution. If you had some means of trying it out. you could end up with all that warwick sound with none of that warwick neck dive
  8. oooo good point, but on besides weighing it down, you could also take it to your friendlly neighboorhood luthier and have him drill you some new strap holes. Changing the orientation of your straplocks make a big difference.

Also if possible wear the bass higher and that helps.
  9. drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Yes, it's true...
    A good strap and strap-locks help the thumb's player....but...I'm trying to understand if there's another bass (warwick or other brand) with the same "punch" and feeling... :cool:
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    could always go custom.........same woods, but headless.