Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick: thumb vs. corvette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Is the thumb just a better version of the corvette? ....Or is the corvette more for slapslap and the thumb more for growling rock basslines? The corvette is a bit more in my price range, so I'd like to hear what some differences are :)

cyas

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think one is meant to better the other, they are just different. The thumb costs more, definitely, especialy the NT model,but as far as the b/o thumb vs corvette i think its just a difference in design.

I think teh corvette is made to be more like a jazz bass, due to the pickup setup, its like a new age jazz.

The thumb is more unique and i tihnk its great for anything.

Leaux-b likes this.
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I think the thumb is superior in tone and more versatile, I agree that the corvette is more like a jazz, of course 10 times more agresive. As a side note, I used to have a badass thumb, but sold it after I started to develop CTS. The problem was the way the bass sat ( body of the bass deadcenter to me belly) and the extreme neck dive, ( the bass sat at a 90 degree angle) this is something to consider.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Thumb bass has a shorter upper horn and a concave carved back on the body (like so: http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/_thumb_bass_curve.html ) so it's not a slab body. Also, the upper horn is short. I believe this is so that one can sling the bass up higher for more aggressive slapping without a slab body and long horn crushing the ribs/sternum. If one slings the Thumb low, the short horn= neck dive. Also, the pickups on the Thumbs tend to be closer to the bridge to allow good slap/pop room.

The Corvette has a slightly more traditional styling with a slab body rather than a concave/contoured one. And its longer upper horn allows to have less neck dive.

Also the woods are different: bubinga vs. ovangkol bodies. There are some tonal differences.

AFAIK, the electronics on the Thumb bolt and Corvette are pretty much the same.

5. FYI: The Bolt-On is Ovankgol and the Neck-Through is Bubinga for the Thumbs. :)

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have only played one Thumb BO, but I evidently played a very bad example because it sounded, felt, and balanced awfully. I expected the balance to suffer in seated position, but I expected better as far as the sound and setup. It was recently traded in so I expected a "players" setup and not a factory setup.

I really dig my 96 Vette though.

7. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I would compare the Corvette to the Thumb Bolton.

The Thumb necktru is another story.
    Older Thumb form the eighties are the real Warwick growl.

8. dwarfjesus

dwarfjesus

Jan 30, 2005
    I have a thumb bolt on and a corvette. Both are wenge necked. I love the thumb and the corvette is ok. the thumb seems to be reactive more than the corvette. I found that the neck dive problem is cured by strapping the bass high and letting your forearm rest on the body. I like the thumb better, but that is my opinion. I may sell my corvette in the future.

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Obvious differences aside (woods used, pre-amp vs. straight passive), I think the main difference is in the pickup placement. Warwick literature states that ovankol has similar tonal characteristics as bubinga, however, these two basses sound quite different. So I say the addition of the preamp and different pickup placement on the Thumb give it a different characteristic.

I used to have a Corvette standard and although it is a heavier bass, it balanced like no other. I found it to be quite versatile and served me well for many years. I agree with others saying it's like a "super jazz".

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, I on the other hand think that because of it's p-up arrangement, the Corvette is the more versatile of the two.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There's a 4-string passive-passive version of the Corvette, but all the other versions (4,5,6 Standard and all Proline) are active-active.

12. bpclay1

bpclay1

Jul 3, 2014
    Old thread revival here...

Does anyone know about the neck shape and width between the two? Are they exactly the same?

13. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    ..NEITHER..... 96...Flashback Fortess...is the SCHUNIZZLE...!

Rodslinger likes this.