Warwick Thumb w/Bartolinis & Mystery Preamp!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beadgc23, May 14, 2005.

1. I've got an old '90 Thumb 6 Fretless which came with bartolinis and a small (1"x1/2"x1/2") 2-band preamp, encapsulated with a midrange trim pot (sounds like "pick attack" :meh: )

The barts & preamp are being replaced by Duncans and the SD 3-band preamp (any takers?) but before they go I wondered if anyone knew what the preamp might be? A gent from Dana B Goods speculated that it too might be bartolini but it looks nothing like any bart preamp that I've ever seen.

Not that any of this sounds bad - just way too "warm" for my tastes. My other Warwick has SD's & sounds perfect to my ears.
  2. Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I think, although I can't promise, that from your description that is a Bartolini TCT preamp. They are two band and a lot smaller than the standard NTMB which is Bartolini's standard pre these days. They are in fact good preamps. The TCT is what Marcus Miller has fitted in his '77 Jazz

Also I have Bartolini pickups and the Duncan three band (the Steve Bailey version) in my custom. It is a good preamp. I have mine running at 9 volts, although I've heard they can run at 18 as well. Make sure you get the Steve Bailey fretless version. The volume knob, when pulled up, gives you a low mid boost which gets a really good Jaco sound when used with the back pickup. My only criticism is that the treble gets a bit hissy when boosted. Slightly hissier even than the pre on my StingRay. I tend not to boost the treble on my bass however as it's a very bright sounding bass anyway. I don't know if anyone has any similar experiences?
  3. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    It's an early version of the MEC 2-band preamp. I have one in both of my '89 Streamers.
  4. A very good reason for taking it out, then!

No Joke - I've been pretty underwhelmed with the SD preamp so far - it's pretty transparent when flat but the EQ is subtle (to put it mildly) and it's very sensitive to RF interference. And noisy. :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:

Oh well - back to the original plan (Bartolinis & a U-Retro). The Seymour Duncan experiment will go back on Ebay!