1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBasicBassist, Apr 4, 2009.

1. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Hey guys,

my girlfriend purchased a warwick thumb 4 stringer for me the other day..i was just wondering if any of you had had any experience using flatwounds on these guys.
    and what kind of pickups are in these guys, is it an emg-esque kinda vibe? 'better' or 'worse' in your opinon than emg pups. thanks all.
    peace.
    john

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    flats sound thuddy on my thumb, nickel rounds all the way. the warwick black label strings are rough (abrasive) to me. Dead rounds really kill the warwick tone IMO. I really didnt like the MEC stacked j's (very thin sounding to me, always had to roll a little bass from the onboard on) and 2 band eq, so I replaced them. you can see what i did here.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473481&page=7
    don't get me wrong. I love my thumb, but now that I replaced the guts, I have rekindled my long lost attraction to it and find myself playing it more often

3. Don't know about flats, but a Girlfriend who gets you a thumb is an awesome one in my book.

4. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Yeah, where the hell did you find this girl?

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    yeah, what a show off :spit:
    that girl is a keeper :)

my b/f is a photographer, and I am sure his friends say the same when I bought him those expensive lenses ... :oops:

You can start by telling us the current setting on the thumb, and how you like the sound as it is. Then we will be able to give more useful recommendations.

6. I agree with RedLeg. Personally, I use DR Lo-riders on my Thumb, which helps fatten the tone up a little. I only use flatwounds on my acoustic, but that's just me. I haven't changed anything to my electronics and I love the tone out of my Thumb. Especially the slap tone, I just haven't found anything to replace it there.

Kind of funny, but my girlfriend is the one who bought my Thumb for me also. Found it on a clearance rack at GC for $1000. Turned out it was one of the 2001 Limited Edition ones. Maybe that's one of the reasons I married her. She's always been supportive of me buying quality gear, so I try not to abuse it. As she said "It's your business and you need quality equipment."

7. MEC pickups are what you call EMGish. I really like them and think they are great to get the warwick tone. Flats on the Thumb 4 are good, helps to warm up the thumb if it's what you're wanting without killing the growl.

8. No pics, no girlfriend, no Thumb :D

9. X2

10. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    here's the pics gentlemen and lady.

11. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    right now everything is stock the action is medium, just a smidge higher then where i love it. i play alot of jazz (bop), folk and funk. and i suppose i was just looking to see what other people have done with their wicks, i love the growl. =]
    it's so much better than the ol' ric.:bassist:

12. Wowsers, I love the wood grain... I bet that sounds great!

13. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    found out today...the thumb is not a good bass for jazz, lol. glad i kept my fender -sigh of relief-