Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick thumb5 '90 replacement pups / electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David Wilson, Nov 24, 2002.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I know this has been asked a lot over the years here, and I have searched a lot but from what I've read I'm gotten conflicting information... so please indulge me.

My '90 Thumb5 came with MEC pups and electronics. I've been happy enough with them over the years, but now the electronics are dying and I need to replace them. Whilst I'm doing that, I thought I should replace the pups with new ones to match the new pre.

I recently replaced the pups/electronics in my '90 musicman stingray with basslines, and was very very impressed with the result. So going with what I know, I'd like to investigate the basslines option for the warwick also. Problem is, I can't seem to find a basslines set on the sd website that would fit my thumb 5...

The basslines website doesn't give dimensions for all it's pups, so I'm having a little difficulty working out which ones would fit. I read here of people putting the soapbars in, but the smallest ones I see are 4" long. My current EMG J pickups are 3.75" long , 0.9 wide.
    Do the newer thumbs have a larger string spacing / pickup slot? Otherwise, I assume any of their active J pickup sets would be good? Anyone with any experience with the different Lightnin' Rod, Pro Active or regular Active SD pups?

Electronics wise, I guess I'd be going with the STC-2A 2 band circuit.I want to keep the characteristic warwick growl, with tight bass and ideally a less hissy top end than the MEC's.

If I want to go the bart route, the best option seems to be the 59j#1 pups and HR.3.3AP/918 circuit. But my preference would be to go with SDs.

2. dont hold me to this .but for the most part all most all jazz pickups i have seen match fender typ with two diffent sizes..i put a 62 ri bridge pickup and put it in my war wick better fit and sound.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY