1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warwick thumb's neck BIG issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chalie, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Hi,

I have a 2008 Warwick Thumb (NT) 4 (got it as new in mid 2008) and since late last year I noticed that the neck at fret 1 and 2 was forward leanning and caused problems with the setup. I thought that it might stay like this not worse so early this year I filed, shaved, that 2 frets so that I can compensate with the re-setup again. However, it seems to keep leaning forward whilst from fret #3 up seems to be OK.
    :crying:
    Does anyone has a remedy for me. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Chalie

2. It seems to quite here

3. Sometimes it take more than half an hour to get your question answered. :)
    That said, can you be more specific? Pictures would help, too- I'm not sure what the problem is.

4. headlikeahole

headlikeahole Commercial User

Oct 31, 2009
    Manchester, NH
    Owner: Zoov Custom Guitars
    Yea lets see some pictures please

5. I sure hope you tried a truss rod adjustment before you started shaving wood!!

I agree that we need to see a photo of what you are talking about.

Also, please spend some time learning about setups. Follow these links.

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=ts0033&clk=123296

http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/ultimate-guide-to-perfect-bass-setup.html

6. Hi Guys,
    I am in Bangkok so responding to you will not be prompt. However, thanks for your remark.
    I will try to pictured my bass but don't think you will see that clearly.
    Yes, I tried working with truss rod but it wouldn't straighten this part of the neck. The truss rod effect the whole neck very well but just at the far end of the neck (from fret 2 to nut) it doesn't help (it is slighly bend forward). If you try to straighten the neck to get it right then it will buzz here at fret 1 and 2. I filled them dowm a little early this year as I thought it will not bending farther anymore so I can work on the truss rod again but it does not stop so I wonder if there is a way to make it stop from bending more and more.
    Thanks,
    Chalie

7. these are the pics per my promise
    Thanks
    :)

Attached Files:

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Ick. I was waiting for pics to see if the issue was what I expected and its exactly as I thought. I've seen this before on some cheap guitars, and once on a Jazz bass that had a knot-like inclusion near the back of the 4th fret. On the Jazz, the curve began after the inclusion, was beyond the normal relief, and was present even when the truss was backed off and the neck was removed. In the case of the Jazz, we clamped the spot with heat and were able to flatten the neck, but the curve returned a few weeks later and the owner eventually just bought a replacement neck.

Did you purchase it new? Warwick has a good history of dealing with their flawed instruments. I'd try contacting them for thoughts...

9. Thanks for your reply.

Yes I bought it as new from a guitar store in NYC with warranty but it is now over a year so I am not certain if that will work. I lve in Thailand so it will be a little complecate to work from here.

Did you purchase it new? Warwick has a good history of dealing with their flawed instruments. I'd try contacting them for thoughts...[/QUOTE]

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Warwick will respond to you I bet, try contacting them...

11. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    Chalie,

That is some serious unstability! definitely take it up with warwick and see what they will do for you. Good luck to you.

12. Thanks guys and I will check with the guitar store that I bought in NYC.
    :)