1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warwick thumbs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by airrick, Apr 10, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    i am gassing for a thumb and was on musicians friend and it had a "warwick thub 4 string bass guitar" for 2000 and a "warwick thumb bass guitar (4 string) for 3000, whats the difference?

2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    One is neck thru and one is bolt on. Check the site for all the differences. They have, IME, a completely different sound and feel.

3. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    what are the different sounds and feels, and which one is better in your opinions

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    It's all a matter of opinion as to which sounds better, but based on the woods and construction methods, the bolt on has a tighter sounds while the neck through is mroe organic and smooth, IMHO.

Also there is way more dig in depth from the strings to the top of the body on the bolt on, along with other differences.

Go pay both, as well as other basses. Tell us what YOU think.

5. Also, it pays to shop around. Give basscentral a call, they've got some great prices on warwicks. I believe also that theperfectbass is stocking warwicks as well.

6. M5Yates

M5Yates Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    FYI - Used Thumb 4 Bolt-ons sell for $800-$1000. Neck thru's go for about $500 more.
    I just sold my mint Thumb 4 for $825.

7. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I have a thumb bolt on I got for $1600 CDN at a midnight madness sale at a local music shop, its awesome. Had to cure my warwick gas until my streamer gets out of my luthier's repair shop. The thumb is a verrrrry growly bass, and the construction and woods are amazing.

8. I've got gas for a bubinga bolt on so bad :(

Was gonna get a custom guitar from a luthier, but I may put my efforts into finding one of these rare monstrosities.

9. drcor

drcor

Aug 13, 2005
    Verona - Italy
    Great bass Warwick thumb. But keep attention! I don't know about neck thru but bolt on is heavy and unbalanced!

10. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Get a thicker strap if weight of it bothers you and get it in leather and not the cheap nylon ones if you have neck dive. The leather grips on to your clothes and keeps the bass where you want it.

Neck Dive gone!

Ebay has the bolt ons for $700 to 800 and they are really nice.
    Do searches on Warwicks and get all the info you may want...
    Pre-97(?) Wariwcks have a brass nut, new ones have Adjust-A-Nut I and II on them...
    Pre 97 used different woods on the neck, used to be wenge now ovankgol and stuff like that. Warwicks also went through numerous pickups through their day...
    With all this in mind, maybe an older Warwick is what you may want?

The Thumb is a great bass... The neck through is Bubinga where the Bolt On is Ovankgol wood... there is a difference right there.

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well good luck finding a brand new bolt on. gc/mf was supposed to have mine in stock today or tommorow, but after callin warwicks distributer, they told me they would not get a shipment until may, so i don't know what gc/mc has been telling me.

12. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i got a neck through one form the london guitar show a few years ago and wasnt very impressed.

they don't balance unless you like your strap low (around your waist) and i found the neck too chunky and the tone was rather copressed( but that is the warwick tone)

but if you are after that big bottom and low mid crunch then go for it. but for me i just found that it lacked all the subtleties i was after.

one thing is for sure that big chunky neck stops the bass from going out of tune and i havnt had to touch the trussrod once since i got it.

Dave

13. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    true that! even pulling it in and out of the gigbag a couple times a week, I'm consistently in tune. Mine's a thumb 5 bolt. my wide leather strap fixes the weight and balance issues nicely. And I keep it pretty high, too.

14. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    wait, so which one is more expensive?

15. The Neck Thru is more expensive - but more expensive doesnt mean better, its just different

16. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    And harder to manufacture (that's why it's more expensive). Both flavors are verra nice basses if you're into Warwick. As for the neck dive, that's a property of the extremely short top horn on the bass. If you don't like the balance, you might consider a Corvette or Streamer body style instead--they both have much longer top horns so the bass balances better when strapped on.

17. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    +1 on tone being compressed, it's part of teh package. My own warwick has a wonderfully slim neck and balances better with the strap higher though.