Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick to Aguilar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Oct 28, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    When I was down at bassNW the other day they said that maybe if I wanted to get a better sound out of my warwick thumb bolt on wide 5 I could get some bassline soapbars and an aguilar 3 band preamp for it. What would be the difference in sound between the stock MEC electronics and the basslines and aguilar electronics?

2. Hey Luke,

First, if you do a search around here there is alot of stuff you can dig up about people replacing the pickups electronics in their Warwicks. FWIW, I don't think i've seen someone replace their pickups in their Warwick and not say that it sounded better in some way.

You mention soapbars so I assume yours is the older model that had Soapbars on the wideneck configs. My Thumb has J-J pickups so my choices for pickups are much different than yours. I'd love to be able to try the SD ASB-5 pickups but they would not fit in mine (but they should in yours). Also, the Aguilar is a great pre-amp and i'm definately going to choose it when I go ahead and replace the electronics/pickups in my bass.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience directly with replacing the pickups/electronics but since you weren't getting any hits I figured i'd share what I can.. BTW if you do replace them let us know how it turns out.

John

3. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    hey thanks for the info, and when i get the money to do it i probably will change out everything. And i'll be sure to let you know how it sounds when i do.

4. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    YES CHANGE THEM, I've owned 3 warwicks and the MEC's do not make those basses sound the way they should. My Streamer Stage I had the duncans and a duncan 3 band pre, going through an aguilar 659 pre. Amazing growl, and very very tight, good for rock. My LX5 has Bartolini pups and pre, and it sounds incredible, it covers the whole range for most types of music. I truly believe any warwick should have the stock MEC's taken out immediately. They don't sound bad, but nothing compared to a nicer set of pups. Look for Bartolini's, Duncan Basslines, or maybe nordstrands (not sure what size soapbar you need, these might not fit). Research on here, there's tons of stuff about replacements in Warwicks.

5. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR