Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick to launch their el-cheapo series..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    According to their site, the line is called RockBass, and they should list at $499. Bodystyles copied from Streamer and Corvette lines. They are to be made in China and to be launched on first quarter of this year.

Knowing Warwick's high quality, this seems to be something to compete with Kingston and BTB. Wonder how successful they'll be tho, considering Streamer STD is quite big miss(or that's what they say).

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Everyone's after that big Turser money;)

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Isn't Warwick's factory suppose to be moved to China?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why in the f*#k are they doing this?! To me, if they're not as good as the Skylines, this could be very bad.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sucks, don't it?

:D
    j/k

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Damn you Jay Turser! What has thou wrought?!

I can see it now,
    "Each bass is metticulously overseen by Roger Sadowsky, before being flown in from Marakesh. We're sure you're gonna love the new I Can't Believe They're Not Sadowsky basses!" :D

7. yeah, but unless they sound like a Streamer Stage II (which I want but can't afford), count me out!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...well i guess warwick's gonna go for a spector type deal:

the streamer standard would be like the czech basses.

the top line bolt ons will be like the US boltons,

and the neck thru's will be like the NS's.

so - the rockbass will be like a "performance series". i guess it's nothing new, but still...i hope to heck they don't stick the W on the headstock...that would make me VERY sad. i can see why they'd do this though...kinda like a car manufacturer. get them with something cheap they can afford, establish brand loyalty, and have somethign super nice they can eventually aspire to have (the neck thru's)

any word on what woods will be used in the neck? my bets are on 1 flatsawn piece o' maple?. you think they'll stick with the wenge board? i'm sure the quality will be on par with any other of the "high end" asian basses...

but yeah...this could also be very bad.

jason

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, it reads at their webpage. "We were sorry to see that there are no beginner level Warwick basses as so many top-20 rock bands like Limp Bizkit and POD are using them..."

Well, there are some quite good inexpensive basses like Kingston and BTB coming from asia these days, perhaps the RockBasses will raise the bar even higher.

10. Nah, it's more than likely that the new Warwicks will be made in the same Cort factory as the Ibanez, MTD and Spector Performance basses :D.

I don't think the quality will even be as high as the Streamer STD.

11. It says they're gonna have an Alien Acoustic in this series too?

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Would YOU buy an STD bass...sounds so...well, not Std., I'm talking S.T.D.....y'know? No real wonder why they are a miss...

(I might be evil yet...:D)

13. No, The Czech basses made for Spector, MTD and Dean are of much more quality than the Streamer "Standard". The only "standard" they have is being a cheap wannabe and way over priced knockoff of the real thing.

14. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Are the people at Warwick a bunch of sell-outs? I hate when companies do that. Introducing the budget series cheapens their whole line of basses in my opinion. I'll know things are really bad when Fodera puts out a $299 beginner series bass.
    Digs

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Digs - At first, I felt the same as you do. The phenomenon seemed to bastardize the name. Being an longtime bassist, I remember when practically a hush fell over the room when you said you owned a Fender. Now, you have to specify where your Fender was made and when it was made, so some people don't dis you.

I wouldn't call them "sellouts" though. It seems to be necessary to stay competitive for the big kids on the block. Flashy catalogs, eye candy websites, full page ads in every issue of Bass Player, etc, cost big bucks. And these guys have 5-year business plans that call for growth so they can swing loans for working capital.

I can see why many of them are paying attention to the market that can't justify buying $3k instruments, by offering their not-quite-premium lines. Companies like Carvin and Peavey saw that market long ago and helped to develop it. Even venerable old names like Martin did it when they came out with their Sigma line and only a few Martinites died of schock.

You can see the same thing in car companies making models of "budget" Mercedes, the "cheap" BMW's, the "affordable" Cadillacs, et al.

But I don't think we'll be seeing the Fodera "Fieldy Signature" any time soon. The boutique builders always seem to have as much work as they can handle.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i will have to respectfully disagree. the neck is the SAME as the streamer LX, the most expensive warwick bolt on, and a bass which i don't think anyone will say is a bad bass. if this bass had the BEC II preamp like the streamer LX, it would be smokin.

i had the chance to play a 4 string 2 pickup streamer standard and a czech spector back to back, and i thought the streamer killed the spector playability wise.

everyone freaked when warwick introduced bolt on basses...but they're REALLY good. then the standard came out, everyone freaked, and i guess it has mixed reviews, but they sure sell alot. so i guess these will be "wait and see." i just hope warwick doesn't start making foreign SSII's and dolphins. there are some things that are sacred.

jason

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah, cuz i always wanted to be like RykNow!

:rolleyes:

(or P-nut or Dirk Lance)

:D

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I must respectfully disagree with you, Jason, and agree with Mr Dead. The Streamer Standard is a blemish on the Warwick name, and while the necks are decent, the body looks and feels as if it were made out of a piece of 2x8 pine from you local lumberyard, and painted with watercolors. I'm sorry, but the Standard in no way, shape or form compares with the Czech Spectors, and the fit and finish on the Standard is below that of the Korean Spectors.

The Warwick neck throughs are some of the finest basses around, and the Streamer Pro M, Corvette Proline, FNA, Fortress and Thumb bolt on are very good as well. The Streamer Standard is way below the other bolt ons in quality IMHO. If this trend holds true, the Chinese Warwicks will be in the same class as Rogues, or at best, stuff like Squiers and OLP Stingrays.