warwick tragedy... broken truss rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jb_kid, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    Hi all.. i got a few question regarding my tragedy.. My bass is warwick corvette proline 6 strings which is made in year 1996. My main problem is the truss rod is apparantly broke on the top side which make my bass can't be adjusted. Now my bass' neck is a little bit curve on the third fret but it is fairly not a problem because i use smaller string size.

My question is, I do love warwick sound, so punchy and has a lot of growl, is it gonna makes any significant effect for the bass sound IF i replace the fingerboard and change it with maple neck, since i love the way it looks.

Thanks for your attention and most kindly your reply

2. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    I'm not sure I understood you correctly? you want to replace the fingerboard with a maple fingerboard or replace the whole neck with a maple neck?
    both of the options can change the sound and I believe that a maple neck will have a larger impact than a maple fingerboard,
    but if you like the way your wick' sounds, just replace the truss rod.

3. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    sorry for the bad english.. i mean that in my place, our local luthier can't replace the truss rod without damaging the fretboard. so he asked me if i want to replace the fingerboard also, since the old one will be surely unusable..

i don't know is anyone can replace the truss rod without peeling off the fretboard ?? my luthier says the hole to pull the truss rod is to small that he can't pull it through the hole on the top of the neck..

4. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'd say find another guy to fix it. If it's a two piece neck, he can take the fingerboard off. If it's a one piece, it should have a "skunk" stripe that can be removed to get access.

You don't see the guys on the Double Bass side of this forum buying new tops because they need to replace their sound post and the luthier doesn't know how to get "inside" the bass...

5. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    yup thanks dude, the bass is definitely a 2 piece neck, maybe it just my luthier. there is not many luthier here that can fix warwick bass..

however, if eventually he can't fix it and suggest me to also replace the fingerboard, any suggestion how it will sound if i replace to maple ?

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Have you contacted the manufacturer to verify that the fretboard really has to come off to replace the rod?
    Some companies use removable rods.

7. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    +1 you need to contact Warwick about this and see what they want you to do.

8. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    A broken trussrod can be repaired by a luthier. I can't remember who, but the neck on his Corvette was so warped he replaced it with a custom made copy, made of hard ash. However, Warwick will not replace your neck with a factory-made neck. But it's worth talking to them (official forums, or if you are in the New York area, their shop).

Basically, you have options. I'd get it to a good luthier and see if it can be repaired (which it should). If you do that, I'd recommend keeping a wenge fingerboard, and purchasing bell brass fret from Warwick, to keep it as close to the original as possible (resale value).

9. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you do decide to replace the fretboard, remember that part of Warwick's tone comes from a non-standard fret material, this being bell brass in their case.

10. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    I have emailed the warwick support and yes they say it have to be pulled off.. unfortunately i am not in the US, i'm from indonesia which is not possible to bring the bass oversea..

my next step is i'll follow Mr Surrendermonkey, i'll tell my luthier to pull off the fretboard and hope it will not be broken.. If it finally broke, i'll take the previous fret to place in my new fingerboard..

11. i would have thought steaming the fretboard off would be the usual plan of action in this case?

12. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    I'm not sure that you have to pull the fretboard to replace the truss rod,
    I remember reading on the Warwick forum (forum.warwick.de) that you can just pull it off but I might be wrong.
    I suggest trying to ask about it in the warwick forum before doing irreversible things.

13. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I havent done it before, but have been very close to giving it a go. I read somewhere that to remove the fretboard you heat it with a heat gun to melt the glue, then it lifts off. If this was correct (and I cant see why it wouldnt be) it wouldnt be getting damaged, maybe the luthier thought it wouldnt be easy/couldnt be bothered to clean the old glue off? Or maybe isnt very experienced. Either way the term pulling off (heh heh) doesent sound very good!

I would want to keep the original, it will work out cheaper, and probably better.

14. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    I meant pulling off the truss rod not the fretboard:p

15. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Sorry, I thought the OP had said that his luthier said that about the fretboard....turns out he didnt and said peel :(. Still you mean out, not off ;) (did I claw back and credibility there?..no thought not)

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can purchase a new neck directly from Warwick. As far as I know, it's factory made, who would make it otherwise?

Here is an email I got from Dana B Goods tech department when I was asking about a new neck (my truss rod was also broken):

If you end up needing a Neck, the entire instrument must come to our location here. All neck swaps have to be performed in house, because of the nature in which these basses are made. They are hand-sanded, and that leads to a slight difference from bass to bass. The plus is that we get a perfect fit for your bass each time we do it, because its all done by hand. The Cost is $450 for the neck and labor, and we currently have about a 2 week turn around time, including shipping. If this is something that you need to have done, just let me know ahead of time, and ill give you a RMA# to ship the bass back with.

Dana was pretty horrible when it came to any kind of service that I needed. I asked for a new set of knobs over 2 years ago. 7 emails went back and forth over a 1 1/2 year period...long story short, I still don't have my damn knobs. Needless to say, I never sent them my bass for a new neck...

IIRC, Dana is no longer their US distributor, so things may be totally different now.

Does the NYC custom shop actually do work or is it just a store?

17. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    thanks for the rep guys.. maybe the idea to heat the side of the fretboard is applicable on some woods, but do the wenge also the same ??

from the email i received earlier from warwick support, they said the fingerboard can be pulled off, and he didn't mention anything about pulling the truss rod without pulled off the fingerboard.. the question is, is it really has to be like that ?? do they don't have another alternatives ?

well.. it's kinda hard when using uncommon wood for a bass..

18. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    for bassgod0dmw : a replacement neck for $450 is too expensive for me. with that bucks, i can get 2 squier bass or G&L tribute bass.. so i guess i'm gonna skip that, but thanks by the way..

19. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Heating or steaming the fretboard is pretty much the only way to remove it. I'm not sure why your luthier said he couldn't do it without damaging it. The type of wood shouldn't matter at all.

You WILL be able to reuse the original fretboard once it's removed, pending it's done correctly. As others have already stated, find a new luthier.

I've removed mine and reused it. If your truss rod is the same as what was in my Thumb, I don;t think it can be removed without pulling the fretboard, although I could be wrong. It's got a T fitting on the end closest to the body (which is the part that broke on mine) that fits into a T cut in the neck. Even if you were able to pull it out, I don't think you can put a new rod (Warwick replacement rod that is) back in because of it. Another rod from a different company may work, but then you're running into other types of fitting issues.

That is from an email over 2 years ago, and for a different bass than what you've got. I'm sure the prices have changed since then...and likely have gone up.

I wasn't copying it to show you prices, but more to show you how their replacement process works.

20. jb_kid

jb_kid

Jul 6, 2006
    oouww.. okay.. thanks for the confirmation there.. i'll contact my local luthier because he said that wenge fingerboard can't be steamed or heaten.. thanks for the info there mate..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021