1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick treatment: wax or polishing oil?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sifi76, Dec 18, 2011.

1. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    Hi there, I recently aquired through the bay a wick streamer lx ltd 2011 bass (for sfa too I might mention hehe :D) and I thought I'd ask for a few pointers on waxing etc. This model has an unfinished maple back and the blackwood top, and I think even the maple/blackwood neck is unfinished. Only the maple fretboard is laquered, so that doesn't require waxing. My q is, what is a better treatment for this bass, wax or oil? I have owned a stage 1 in the past and found wax to be a bit too sticky, so figured I'd maybe get some advice from oil users, in terms of which type to use etc.. or is there a possibility I may have been 'overwaxing'? Plus I'm not sure how the blackwood will react to either option, as it's not normally a finish warwick offers. In any case I'd love some input before she has to have a clean-up etc.

Cheers :)

2. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I believe you are right and may have been overwaxing. When applied properly you should get a lovely,smooth, satin like result. I have been getting great results with "Howard's feed n wax". Very easy to use. Not sticky at all. It does contain orange oil as well as carnuba and bees wax. Do a search on it here. Many Warwick players love this stuff. I would guess the blackwood would get a little darker richer looking over the years but the wax should not hurt it or change it drastically. You might try the Warwick forum for some good info.

3. +1 on Howard Feed-N-Wax. I completely took my Thumb BO 4 apart. Gave her a well deserved brushing with some 0000 Steel Wool and then gave her a good waxing. I was amazed on how much the grain "popped" after I was done waxing it.

Dunno about over waxing. I hear that once a year is all you really need.

4. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    good question ....i haven't done anything with my Warwick yet ...got it in may ....the only thing that was missing out of the owner's kit was the Beas Wax ....i used to oil my unfinished guitar necks with tung oil .....i've never waxed anything ....but i would appreciate opinions as well.

pretty sure the oil wouldn't work for the body..just the neck.

5. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Typically only natural bodies include the wax in the kit. Looking at the user manual, high gloss and oil colored wicks don't need waxing. Doesn't mean though they can't get a little TLC.

6. Thats a Swamp Ash body ;)

7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Personally I find that using Murphy's Oil Soap before waxing helps leave a Nice smooth coat of wax.

Spray Wood Cleaner, Chairs, Doors, Wood Furniture - Orange Oil Spray | Murphy Oil Soap

I apply the wax Very Sparingly, and Buff it to a Nice Sheen. I prefer Lemon Oil on the fingerboard. I've used it on my Kubuki (Martial Arts Weapons) for years, so maybe it's just what I'm used to.

But all of my Warwicks have been Maple/Ash bodies and either Wenge or Ovangkol necks and Wenge board. Having just aquired an NT Katana with a Maple Neck & Ebony Boards I'm wondering if this is going to work for this Monster as well. The directions on "Care & Feeding" are the same...

8. sifi76

sifi76

Mar 14, 2007
    New Zealand
    nope, it's 2/3 flame maple to 1/3 african blackwood. The back even has the flame 'sheen' to it. I'm glad it's not ash actually, I have read many horror stories about corvette $$ owners oil finished vettes chipping etc.

Thanks for the help btw everyone, I think I'll check out the feed n wax, and prob go a bit sparingly on the warwick beeswax that came with the bass. Is it a good idea to apply it warm to the body? seemed to spread more evenly and buff out cleaner

9. KORNSKYDIVER

KORNSKYDIVER

Apr 18, 2009
    Olympia, Wa
    +10 for Howards Feed N Wax!

10. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Ask Warwick what is best for your model. Go to Warwick.com and click on forums. You will need to join to post a question. You will probably get a reply from Florin, one of the VPs at Warwick, and just do what he says.
    When I purchased a 20-year old filthy Fortress, Florin gave me the info I needed within 24 hrs of my post. I did what he said and the bass looks awesome.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was so hoping your Warwick was a Dolphin.

12. Blankandson

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Just visited the Warwick forum. Address I gave was wrong. Try Warwick.de Florin is the scary dude with blond hair down to his belt. He's the forum administrator, not a VP. Anyway, he knows what he talks about and he will help you.

13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Here ya go.

Attached Files:

14. Blankandson

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Florin on the Warwick web says he uses his fingers only to apply the wax. His body temp melts it just right and he just moves it around the wood with his fingers.

I just did mine last week after this post came out. I removed a lot of the hardware and cleaned it with lemon oil. The Swamp Ash on mine won't take any kind of polish since it's sealed, but the fingerboard took well to the lemon oil (3 applications) and I used wax on the back of the wenge neck. After that dried I buffed it with a shoe shine cloth. Looks good, plays better. I need to do it more.