Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick truss rod cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bguitar, Oct 5, 2005.

1. bguitar

bguitar

Oct 5, 2005
    Hi

I noticed something on my Warwick bass. The screws that hold the truss rod cover in place one of them is installed within 1 mm to the truss rod cutout. To me this could lead to wood splitting. The other two screws are well spaced away from the cutout. The bass has the ovangkol wood with the black headstock (phelonic material I think?) I am not sure if this is common to all Warwick basses or not.

2. bguitar

bguitar

Oct 5, 2005
    :crying:

3. bguitar

bguitar

Oct 5, 2005
    Hi

Thanks for your reply. I noticed this also on a 6 string Warwick bass I rented too. It appears to be how the routing of the truss rod access cavity is done. I'm sure if there were cases of cracking this would have been addressed. They use very very small wood screws and it goes through the black phelonic headstock cap first. If it is not cracked/split now, can it crack/split later?

4. When I built the "Jazzwick" I encountered this but there isn't any problem with it at all. The tiny screws won't split the wood because they've been pilot drilled. But even in a different scenario with a larger screw, the headstock lamination would add strength to the top of the neck and the fretboard would keep it from splitting to the bottom.