Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HotTubesGrooves, Sep 16, 2005.

1. My streamer Jazzman finally arrived!

The construction is top notch, the neck and body are a thing of beauty, but the quality control regarding hardware and setup isnt...

When I got it home, I noticed that the 2 bottom tuners were loose (the nut on the front face of the headstock). As a result of them being loose whilst under string tension, the threads are now crossed. I will need to get some replacements from the shop I guess.

The setup in general was pretty poor too. Intonation was waaay out, and i'm not sure about neck relief (its a fretless).

What is the ideal neck relief on a fretless, and the ideal string height at the nut supposed to be? I like a bit of mwah, but only when I want it to, not all the time!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would put very very little to barely existant relief.

3. Thats what it has at the moment so at least they got something right at the setup stage!

Thanks man.

4. What is the ideal neck relief on a fretless, and the ideal string height at the nut supposed to be? I like a bit of mwah, but only when I want it to, not all the time![/QUOTE]

Playing with fretless bass guitar, you tend to have a + hight string space at the nuts and with the neck tight, mean streight-up or slightly backward bowed so that the string's space will more or less even through the neck

With Warwick bass, you need to give an extra concern when thighten the rod. If while you tightening come the sound of wood heavily rubbed, have the shop check that out or do the job for you. This neck issue is always with this maker that is way they deliver the bass in non setup.

5. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I had two tuners constantly loosen up on my corvette standard 5. I would tighten them and a few days later they were loose... I talked with the dealer and they ordered me 2 new machines but in the mean time I saw some hipshot ultralights that I fell in love with so I purchased a set and have not looked back. man hipshot makes a nice product, those ultralights rock!

chris

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    makes me think of a bass we got in the shop that was dropped in the box during shipping!