Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Twin J and preamp replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone have any luck with finding a replacement for a Warwick Twin J, either pup or dual 2 band preamp? Any other suggestions? (Fortress Masterman 4) Thanks, Marc

2. From what I understand you can replace the pick-ups with two J types sitting next to each other and use the stock Warwick dual J cover.

To replace the preamp, you'll need to have an idea about what you want.

The Wawick Volume/Pan pot on the Fortress MM is capable has a push/pull switch for passive/active that has been disabled by a soldiered rod on the back. Think about enabling this feature.

The preamps are mounted on the Bass/Treble boost pots. So these will have to be replaced.

Check out preamp kits from Bart, EMG, and Basslines.

This is what I've been thinking about doing to my Streamer Pro M

Bartolini preamp, you can get one with Bass/Treble on one stacked pot, and Mid-Range/Freq. on another stacked pot with push-pull switch for series/parallel. Turn the stock Warwick Volume/Pan into a Bartolini dual Volume with the push-pull feature for passive/active.

Anyway, you might want to try to keep the Stock Warwick Pickups and get a new preamp first.

Here are some idea's:

http://www.bartolini.net/information/harnesses/harnesses.htm

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    U-Retro!

it has 2 switches, but you could just stick them in the control cavity until you're sure you like it. volume/blend, mid/midshift, treble/bass (w/pull for bright), and then active/passive and passive pickup selector switches.

i've never heard of anyone not being extremely happy with this preamp - and supposedly it makes average pickups sound extraordinary so maybe you wouldn't even need to swap pickups.

i'm gonna get the deluxe for my ss2 as soon as i have the cash.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Thanks for all your help, but where exactly is this removable soldered bar preventing me from using the push/pull active/passive feature? And HOW do I disengage this? Thanks, Marc

5. My Streamer Pro M volume/pan Warwick Part Number: #M88552, same as the Fortress Master Man.

There should be a thin metal bar soldiered across the back of the volume/pan pot.

Removing this should allow the pot to move in and out.

Discovering the on/off leads on the pot would require a little electronics knowledge.

I ordered a new volume/pan pot from Warwick and found the push/pull feature. I looked into the Pro M and the orginial pot had a piece of wire soldiered across the top that shut down this feature.

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    This seems to be an extension of the grounding wire, I do not see how removing this would enable the active passive feature. It does not seem to be blocking it in any way, mainly because it would be pulled out not pushed in. Did you remove this bar on your old pot or get the active passive feature from your new one? Thanks, Marc

7. STOCK IT IS SET IN THE "PULL" POSITION AND CANNOT BE "PUSHED" BECAUSE OF THE BAR SOLDIERED ACROSS THE REAR PIN AND THE TOP VOLUME KNOB IS SET DOWN AND TIGHTENED.

THE BAR CROSSES OVER THE POT PIN IN THE VOLUME/PAN POT, THIS PREVENTS THE "SWITCH " FROM BEING PUSHED "IN"

THE VOLUME KNOB IS SET ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE POT STEM AND PREVENTS THE "SWITCH" FROM BEING PUSHED "IN"

STEP 1. LOOSEN VOLUME KNOB FROM POT STEM AND REMOVE.

STEP 2. TAKE OFF THE BAR FROM ACROSS THE POT STEM HOLE ON THE REAR OF THE POT AND KEEP THE GROUND CONNECTION

STEP 3. PUSH THE FRONT EXPOSED POT STEM KNOB AND PUSH IN UNTIL IT CLICKS.

STEP 4. REPLACE VOLUME KNOB WITH THE POT STEM SET TO THE "IN" POSITION.

ONCE TIGHT. THE POT WILL PULL OUT AND PUSH IN WITH A SOLID CLICK.

THIS IS A TOGGLE SWITCH TO USE FOR WHATEVER.

FINDING THE PROPER WIRING CONFIGUATION
    TO MAKE USE OF THIS FEATURE IS UP TO YOU.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Wow, neat. How did you find out about this? I actually asked the main tech guy at Warwick if this could be done (Active Passive) on my bass and he said, "No". You are the man!I broke the grounding connection but soldered it back on again. I did not notice a difference it the sound though, probably because its not wired that way right? Anyways, Maybe Bartolini preamps or how about aguilar? Hmmmm, I could go the Anthony Jackson route and bypass it altogether...Hmmm. Do you think your ProM body is alittle bright in terms of tone? Maybe beacuse of the maple? Thanks, Marc

9. I have a friend in England with a Fortress Master Man with the Passive/Active feature.

The Pro M a little bright? Yeah, maybe.
    Just back-off on the treble and boost the lows!

I goes from razor sharp to "preamp melting" thunderous lows, either, or, both at the same time and everything in between.

I'm not really sure why you want to mess with your Fortress, because it has a super wide range of tones...