Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick twisted neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emilebass, May 7, 2004.

1. emilebass

emilebass

May 7, 2004
    Just wandering if anyone is aware of acommon problem with
    warwick neck warping.
    I recently purchased a streamer stage 2 2000 model second hand.
    Only to be told when i had it set up that it had a twisted neck.
    This usually occurs if the wood hasnt been cured and i was wandering if anyone else has had the same problem .

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess it wasent a multilaminate neck?

3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have a 1995 Corvette Proline with a 3 piece Wenge neck and when I had it set up the guy told me the neck was twisted. After he told me I could see it but it was VERY slight and doesn't effect the playability, all it does is raise my action slightly on the bass side which I do anyway.

4. MAJOR METAL

I allways thoght that having a multilaminate neck would prevent things like that.

5. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I had a fortress 5 string with this problem as well. It was irritating. In order to get the neck to where it wouldn't buzz on the G and D strings, I had to have horrible action on the E and B. I prefer low action so it was a frustrating situation. I was a bolt on 4 piece neck so I imagine it was probably worse than what you'd experience on a neck-thru. Needless to say I don't play warwicks any more. Overall I'm not impressed with either their construction, materials, or their electronics. After having a Zon in my hands, the warwick doesn't even compare.

Dave

6. I hope it's not a wenge stability issue. I just bought a wenge / ebony P neck from Warmoth...

I know it's not the same company, but similar materials.

I had read numerous places that wenge is incredibly stable wood. I'm surprised.

As they say in the Facts of Life

"You take the good, you take the bad..."

IIRC, Warwick had their useage of Wenge greatly reduced (it's a regulated exotic) and that's why they switched to Ovangkol.

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I bought a corvette from mars when I was much younger. It was new, thank GOD! The neck felt very funny after I took it in for a professional setup. The tech had told me there was a twist in the neck. The G string side was higher than the E string side. I complianed to mars and they sent the bass to Dana B Goods for a completly new neck. Played and sounded great, but I hated the adjustable nut.

A couple of months later, I decided to trade the corvette for a tacoma thunderchief. No regrets. Warwicks weigh 15-20 lbs and there are much better basses in the same price range IMO.

8. Good God, I'm not alone!!!
    I have a Streamer LX 5 string with a 4 piece Ovangkol neck, it is slightly twisted tho it is perfectly playable, I noticed this when sighting down the neck from the bridge.

9. MAJOR METAL

this is not good, i heard warwick is great with customer service tough.

10. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    The Streamer II's have a 7 pc neck

11. MAJOR METAL

wow i allways thoght that that was alot of stability.

12. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    My streamer stage II neck has been great. No twisting.

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    The warping is the main reason why WARWICK switched from Wenge to Ovangkol. Plus it is a 7 piece neck. I never had a problem with the newer ones.

14. Joey Squid,
    Why did Warwick change to O. bodies also? Did you read somewhere that the Wenge was unstable? What's the deal?
    I had always heard that the change from Wenge was due to cost and availability ...?

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't think any Warwick weighs 20 lbs.

16. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder

One of the best Customer Service in the business.

Being an ex-dealer for Warwick.........I can recommend this:

If in fact the neck is Warped, call Dana B.Goods or E-mail them and they will instruct you in what to do. Most of the times you can take it back to the store where you bought it and they will send it back directly to them and they will replace the neck for you at No Charge! {regardless if the bass was new or used, just make sure the store is an actual dealer}

If you bought the bass 2nd hand and not through and Authorized dealer, explain to Warwick the issue and they will take care of it for you.

I have owned quite a few and never had this problem.

I actually have a custom shop 4 listed in the For Sale section ;)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126132

17. I talked to a Dana B. Goods rep. He told me it would cost me around 400 bucks to change the neck. It was bought overseas by an authorized dealer. Since I am now in the US I cannot take it back to the dealer. too bad for me, and warwick business with myself. That sure took them down a couple of notches in my book.

18. I thought they switched because of the civil war in the Congo which increased the price and decreased the supply. That's what I heard.

19. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I had the same thing happen to my streamer stage II. I dumped it. I'll never buy another warwick.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    When i called Dana B Goodes a few years ago, they told me the same thing. It was political reasons in the supplying county more than anything else.