1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Unable To Ship Bass Guitar From Germany To US

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MontanaGuy, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Several days ago I finally found a short scale Warwick bass for sale but it's in Germany. When I tried to purchase it online I got a message telling me that they're unable to ship it to the US. I sent an email to them thinking that this must be some kind of mixup and I got a response today:
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we are not able to ship Warwick products to the US. We are prohibited by existing agreements between manufacturers and distributors from selling some items to certain territories. This is something over which we have no influence – nor can we predict when, or if, the situation will change.

Kind regards,

Katharina Mari, Export Sales

Has anyone heard of this situation before? I've seen people in the US who have Warwick basses and they had to get them somehow.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Who were you buying it from? A retailer?
    You might have to purchase a Warwick through a US distributor...

3. stevegeer

stevegeer

Jul 24, 2013
    I have a Warwick but bought it 20 years ago. I tried googling to see what laws have changed but couldn't find anything. I certainly hope not. It would be strange as I still see them up on Guitar Center's site. Maybe contact a Guitar Center to see if they can bring it in for you?

4. I was trying to order it from Thomann.DE

5. The bass I want is one of their short scale basses and I don't see that particular bass listed on any other website like Guitar Center as even being available. I'll have to check with them to see if they can get one though, maybe a dealer can buy one!

6. MG, here in Nashville, Warwick /Framus has a BUNCH of axes for sale on Reverb.com; I'd heard (possibly incorrectly . . . ) that they're closing their Artist Relations office here in town. You might check those Reverb ads or contact them directly, just maybe they can shed some light on this.

tindrum and MontanaGuy like this.
  7. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    There must be some agreement, therefore Thomann.de is not allowed to send Warwick products to US. You need to ask Warwick's US dealer. Though, some models might not be available for US market.
    Alternatively, you may look for some kind of re-shipping services. In this case you buy at thomann, they ship to some EU address, and then your bass is shipped to you. There are plenty of such services from US to EU, so reverse way must also exist. This not the economically reasonable way though.

tindrum, DJ Bebop, Inara and 3 others like this.
  8. MG, I believe this link (I think I got the listing filter right . . . .) is for the F/W Nashville sale:

Framus & Warwick USA

tindrum, DJ Bebop, BOOG and 1 other person like this.
  9. Thanks J Wilson! I just send a message to the person on the link you provided. I appreciate your help!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I've used reshippers from the US to Australia many times and the average fee from them is about 5%. Do some searching.

tindrum, BOOG and MontanaGuy like this.
  11. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Sure,for example I cant buy a fender and ship to my country because of agreements with the local one and only fender dealer(monopoly that jacks up the prices).
    This applies to new products only.
    Your local dealer might help but its a long shot.
    Your can use a shipping company like I do but expect around 200$ for shipping plus possible fees.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You can't buy music Man basses from any us site toward Europe, for the same reasons.
    They're not going to screw local distributors.

tindrum, 31HZ, knumbskull and 6 others like this.
  13. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Might want to check with a music store like Chicago Music Exchange that sells Warwicks. I think Musician's Friend also sells a limited number of models. Which bass is it? They don't make a lot of short scale ones.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, that happens. You can buy a Warwick, but not from them. Some other distributor obviously has the rights for the US. This happens to me in Canada all the time.

howlin, Koshchei and Inara like this.
  15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The title of the thread displays your misunderstanding. You didn't place the order with Warwick, but their German distributor. They have contracts with different distributors in different markets. In order to make it worthwhile for the distributors to promote, service, and warranty the product, they need to be ensured the manufacturer isn't competing with them. So Thoman's contract prohibits them from shipping to the USA because Warwick has another distributor for this market.

16. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I bought an unlined Warwick fretless Rockbass last year from Thomann (ended up returning it). It wasn't a model sold here in the US, so maybe that had something to do with being able to get it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  17. I got a response from a guy who I've discovered is with the US branch of Warwick and Framus guitars. He said that they do offer the Rockbass Corvette in short scale but they don't happen to have any of them in stock here because it's not a common bass. He has suggested that I contact a local retail store where they sell some Warwick products and see if he'd be willing to do a special order. So the representative for Warwick is in Nashville and that happens to be where I live so I'm going to head down to the store he mentioned and see if they'll order one for me. Thanks everyone in in particular to J Wilson who located the information for Warwick in the US!

Gabbs, Timmah, equill and 14 others like this.
  18. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    It happens all the time in Canada. I cannot buy a bass made by a US manufacturer direct. We are being forced to go through the distributors which usually refers us to authorized retailers.

I think it is done to ensure that the local distributor/retailers do not get cannibalized by the manufacturer.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    DJ Bebop and MontanaGuy like this.
  19. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah. If you're in Nashville, and you want something from Warwick, this is a great place to keep it local.

Inara and MontanaGuy like this.
  20. It's just a business agreement between the brand and market owners. Keeps a seller in one territory from stepping on the toes of a seller in another territory. Ultimately it is anti-consumer but it is a very common way to do business. I recently experienced the same thing when trying to buy a pair of Nike shoes from the UK. They are not allowed to ship anything to America.

DJ Bebop and 12BitSlab like this.