Warwick Users Let Me Hear Ya!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Sep 20, 2000.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just got my Thumb 4 Bolt-on today and man it is da sh$@. Neptoon you were right. I can't believe how solid this bass feels. I haven't given it a proper workout yet. Not real impressed with Gig bag that came with it. I ordered a case. Thanks again Neptoon.

If you're a Warwick user throw up a picture or a line or two about your bass(es). I wanna see how many of us there are.
  2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've been a devoted warwick user since 1997. I have a Masterman 5 and it is awesome. Yellow Flamed maple body, gold HW, wenge neck. I haven't found a style it can't conquer.
    BTW, good choice on the BO. The thumb NT, though very nice, isn't too good for slapping in my experiences with it. The BO is much snappier and if I had the choice, I'd go with a BO.

Warwick Users Unite!
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I would love to have a Warwick.
    I would like the Streamer PRO-M or the Corvete Pro-Line 6 string.
    But i dont have the dough to get one.
  4. Yeah, yeah, yeah! Congrats and enjoy! Beautiful piece of art, and its capability, its range, is fantastic! My Corvette FNA makes my old Epi seem like a tone drone.
    And yes, Warwicks are pricey, but not as much as some Spectors, MMs, Laklands, Rick turners, etc... (All of which I think are also fine basses.)
    I traded in my Epi Rivoli (great neck, probably the narrowest 4 string neck made, but with an outdated, cheesy pickup, giving it a limited range IMO), and then put the FNA on lay-away. (Got's to stay away from that damn plastic, y'know?) And in 4 quick months it was mine, all mine! (Gear greed gear greed gear greed gear.....)

Now for the amp/cab/combo to match it...? (Jeez, don't it ever end?) So what do you current Warwick users recommend (and use) to bring out the best of your axe? (Mid priced range, please... Under 1G?)

5. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    I have been playing a thumb 6 BO for more than 7 years. It's still my main axe, and i love to play it in any musical context.

The only thing i kinda don't like is the balance. The body seems to be too small to be a real counterweight for the headstock, so you have to use a broad belt. Maybe that's a smaller problem with 4's or 5's.

Besides that: That thing ROCKS. I totally agree with you, rojo, that the BO has a tougher, tighter sound than the NT. I had the chance to compare both, and my decision was clear after the first few notes i played.

I also love the breathing oil-wax finish of the warwicks. You can buy some paste (comes in little tin cans like shoe cream) directly from warwick. It consists of bee wax and lemon juice (i think). Rub that stuff onto your bass once or twice a year, and it's going to look brand new over years (and it smells so good!)

BTW, the build excellent amps and boxes, too.
  6. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    My brand new Warwick Corvette FNA JazzMan 5 kicks ass. The sounds I get from this bass are amazing and the string to string balance is great. I do like the gig bag but most of the time I still keep it in a case.
  7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, I'm gonna get a warwick after I get the moneys (always a problem, eh guys?) And since this is a Warwick thread..which one should I get? I've tried a corvette 4 string (passive)which was stiil really punchy, for a passive. I haven't had the chance to tried a thumb, so should I just wait? Also, can you be thumb BO's in Bubinga, or only ovankol?

Yea, I also need to know what amp to use :)

8. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000

mine's bubinga. It's more than 7 years old, they may have changed that.

Amp: use a good one :D:D (just kidding). I think the warwicks sound good on any amp. It's hard to give you some valuable advice without knowing your budget, your musical background, your style of music, ...

It you have to transport your stuff yourself, don't buy too big. An Ampeg SVT stack is still regarded as one of the best things that can happen to one's bass sound, but i think it's not worth the sweat (your own sweat, that is. If you have someone else sweating for you, that's a different story).

If you go to the store by car, don't park it in front of the store. If you have to walk your rig to the car (and you'll have to do that more often than you will like!!:() and you still think that it's worth the sweat, buy it. If you think ":mad:I wished I had the car right in front of the store:mad:" better think about it again.

9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Warwick Bolt-on Thumb 4 string fretless. Bought it as a second bass and its my main one now.

As far as I know the tru necks are bubinga and bolt on ovangkol. The wax thing does work. Mine was sh and abused by belt buckles, got the sandpaper out and waxed it and its new again.

I tried it recently through a HK basebass 400 stack woah!

I like the active bypass and the J p/u's I find with Thumb basses that you love em or hate em I love mine.

Anyone seen pics of the Infinity? Its a semi-acoustic with a flame or birdseye maple top and 1 J and 1 humbucker.
  10. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Anyone out there tired a dolphin? I played both a four and a five recently and loved them both. Perfect balance too. The string spacing was a little tight on the five, but I believe our friends at warwick have added a wide neck option... The tone on those things just BREATHES though. Really opens up and blossoms while still retaining a nice woddy punch. THe thumbs are nice as well, despite the balace issues. The infinity was a great bass, and light! Had a tone similar in my mind to a jazzman with the same pickup configuration only a little less modern?

11. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The other bassplayer in my band (dont ask) has a 1989 Doplphin 2 with a maple neck mmmmmm nice

The Infinity is tempting but too many basses so little money.
  12. Lymie

Jul 25, 2000
    I own a 89 Thumb 4 NT FL with EMG's(which I bought for US 750,-). The Neck through and Fretless work great together. Nice warm but defined and solid sound. It's also still in great shape. The only thing that annoys me is the dead spot (on fretless it's even more audible) on the g-string. Also I recently bought a 99 Streamer LX 5(US 1250,-). I went to get me a Fender, Musicman or Yamaha, but I tryed this baby and its sound was awesome. Thight b-string, snappy sound. The one thing is, there seem to be a lot of Warwick haters around. Their comments reach from "overpriced" to "bad necks" to "spector rip offs". IMO I payed an excellent price (a stingray goes for US 2000,-), I never had any problems with the neck (Checked it thoroughly at a guitar builder)and any brand has its rip off (recently walked into a store and saw a thumb rip off, didn't check the name)plus I don't know Spector. Just wanted this of my chest. Warwick does the job for me and will be doin' it for me. By the way, I'm also in search of an amp. I tryed SWR tops and speakers. Any comments?
  13. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    I play a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 4 String. I run it through a Eden WT-300 INTO A 210XLT and a 115XLT. I have the bass strung with Fodera roundwound nickels.

I love the bass and the sound.
  14. Corvette Fretless 4, passive j pickups, bubinga body and wenge neck w/ ebony unlined board. I took the plunge and put some roundwounds on a few weeks ago, talk about growl! It goes through my SWR Bass 350 and Marshall DBS 4x10.

Only downside: the neck, IMHO, could do with being a little shallower (but I am spoilt for gorgeous necks on my MM StringRay 5 and Modulus 4!)
  15. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    Lymie - I have a Corvette 5 that I play through an SWR Bass 350 with a pair of Goliath III 4X10's. It makes for a very crisp sound and the 10's handle the low B just fine. Really cuts through the stage volume, or so I've been told numerous times by audience members who all of a sudden are paying attention to bass. Look for used cabs to keep the cost out of the stratosphere.
  16. Lymie

Jul 25, 2000

ran out of money with the streamer, so it's gonna be e-bay time for me. Thanx for the advice. There's no need for an extra 15" back up you'd say?
  17. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Im no pro like most of you here, but i just bought my seocnd ever bass and it was a warwick corvette std. with the passive electronics. i must say i love it. what i like the best aout it is it has great lows. im using a carvin 100 watt with a 15" and i have dr low riders and man i love it. cant go wrong with a warwick.
  18. rofga

Sep 17, 2000
    no pro here either. i got a corvette proline 4string after deciding to start bassing again after a few years' break with occasional sit-ins (bass players are so scarce). i used to have a maison - ever hear of them?
    what i really like about warwicks is the wooden feel of the neck and of course the form.
  19. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Great to hear from fellow Warwick Users. Everyone seems to dig their "works of art". No pics from anyone yet though (me included, although I'm working on it)!I know there are more Warwick fans out there. Let Me Hear Ya!
  20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hooyah....hey, no prollem, grooveguru...like I said earlier...I have a neck thru thumb four and I love it....and about the whole ovankol/bubninga thing....watch out! From what I understand, there is civil unrest in the country where the bubinga logs are harvested, so the wood is hard to come by...hmmmm....strangely enough, I haven't read about it in the news papers...oh well, mebbe I should pick one up every once in a while...yeah, my thumb definitely rocks though...