Warwick users, what kind of music you play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Jazz

31 vote(s)
  2. Blues

16 vote(s)
  3. Funk

36 vote(s)
  4. Rock (classic / AOR / country etc)

37 vote(s)
  5. Hard Rock / Metal

49 vote(s)
  6. Latin / World Music

8 vote(s)
  7. Gospel

12 vote(s)
  8. Pop

18 vote(s)
  9. Nu Carrot Metal

14 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

I did it - my local music store is ordering a Thumb Bolt-on for me, estimated delivery time is four weeks because they have to order one from the factory and wait for it to be built :eek: I think I can manage the wait though :D

Anyways, when I talked about it with my friends, one of them (being a sort of a young jazz-type bassist) started speaking how good normal Fenders are and basicly begun insulting Warwick in general, especially calling it "just a nu-metal bass for trend-who*es" :mad: Now I personally couldn't care less since I know what I want and love the Thumb but it left me wondering, what kind of people actually DO play Warwicks?

I know the whole Warwick design is pretty unique and hence lends itself to many different genres, but I thought it would be interesting to see what the results are in TB, so here's where the poll comes in.

If you are in doubt what to answer, think what kind of music you think your audience usually listens to, and if you swing in more than one direction - genrewise! -pick couple of the genres you play.

I hope this poll also satisfies Mr. Lindfield ;)
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    And I remember the days when Warwicks were the basses for the jazz-funk Zender wannabees... I was more a Flea-ite when I got mine (found Jamiroquai far too cheesy back then) and was deliberately getting a bass that sounded great to me but wasn't played by any of my more obvious influences. It's still the only bass I gig and record with, and I almost always get very positive remarkes about my sound. (Though now I've found the missing bridge saddle for my Bartolini'd fretless Hohner Jack that will be going out soon).

Style-wise, I broadcast an overwhelming dose of funk with a dash of rock, reggae and jazz, and a dollop of weirdness.

P.S. Mr Lindfield - as of 17th April there will be one more TBer in Brighton...
  3. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Why are you bashing nu-metal??
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    my band is hard rock. the warwick has a nice growl to it. however, i have to boost high end because i spend a fair amount of time int the mid range and high end, otherwise nice basses. by the way i have a streamer standard.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

I think most bands considered "nu-metal" are sort of rock world equalance to "euro dance" - the phenominon we saw in the mid-90s - and I happen to have natural dislike against any MTV-hyped bands like Linkin Bizkit.

It's bit hard to say which bands are nu-metal and which are just modern hard rock though, and there actually are decent bands considered nu-metal out there like SOAD or even Disturbed, whose debute album I own by the way. So I'm not actually against the music (whenever I consider it good music!) but calling Warwick a "numetal"-bass is the same thing than if you'd say that if you have a six, you are a some sort of jazz-wannabe.
  6. I also have problem with old school blues guys. For them, jazz or P is the only possibility. But I find my thumb's sound for "modern" blues, jazz and fingerstyle funk extremely suitable. Very unique, rich, its own. Well, I am planning to buy jazz or T-40 for oldschool blues rock (Hendrix, LedZep), but I was forced:).
  7. ok, back on topic here...

I play jazz, modern jazz, rock, funk, metal, and they all sound great on Warwicks. I consistently get compliments on my tone. Paired w/SWR amplification it's the best setup I've had.

I own a Fortress One 5, a Streamer LX 5, a Streamer Pro-M fretless 5, and a Corvette 5.

Tell your 'young jazz type' player that he's full of sh*t - I don't like the sound of P-basses. Jazzes sound good to me, but I really don't know what the deal is w/people's love over P-basses. And don't say '1000's of records can't be wrong.' When Jamerson was playing, maybe P-bass was the best thing you could buy.

Definitely not true today. I would take the crappiest Warwick over a P-bass any day.
  8. I played my Warwick in a cover band with a "standard" repertoire - Sweet Home Alabama, Smoke on the Water, Knock on Wood, Jailhouse Rock, Jump, Roseanna, Back in the USSR, Little Honda, Born to be Wild et c.
    Worked for everything.
  9. Whats all this Carrot talk?:confused: :confused: :confused:

10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I had a Jazz band in the studio a while back, the guy tried the P, tried the J, USED the Warwick.
    It came out really nice, and he used the Warwick for the whole session.

Personally, I guess I've played a little of everything on it. Well, except for y'alternative. It can't play that style.
  11. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I am expecting a Tumb 5 BO later this week. I play sort of a alternative/psychedelic rock(sort of Zeppish, but in a more 90's type of style).
  12. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Warwicks work in any style situatuion where a solid, clear, bass note with definition is needed. I use my Corvettes for heavier stuff(Swamp Ash-fretted) and jazz, new age(Bubinga-fretless).
  13. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    By the way, the "Nu Carrot Metal" option is the traditional TB carrot option - ment for stating the "I'm not interested / who cares / better poll next time / I'll be funny and answer carrots" opinion.

I think non-carrotian nu-metal would belong into hard rock / metal -genre.
  15. Yet another poll that wasn't given enough thought in the design process. There should be an option for "multi-genre," since only 1 poll vote will be counted by the vBulliten software. I cannot trust the data of this poll in its present form.

Back to the topic: I have used my Warwicks in original rock, cover ("classic") rock, "smooth" jazz, coffee-house acoustic and contemporary worship settings. The instruments have enough versatility built into them to handle all of these with equal aplomb.
  16. Yay, i get to reply to this cause i've just got a warwick 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, i use it in my skacore band, and i'll play all styles from swing to nu-metal in it.

By the way, its a Dolphin SN if anyone cared, probably not I just like talking about it.
  17. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Fortress Masterman for Funk, Corvette std for rock/pop ..

18. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I play in a heavy alt-rock band.... im just about to buy a new bass and its gonna be another warwick... it works for me.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use my Warwick SSI5 for funk, blues, R&B, alt-rock, modern rock, classic rock, hard rock, southern rock, punk rock, C&W/bluegrass, and any other kinds of music I play. Same is true for my other basses, ranging from Fender to Modulus.
  20. wyrtti

wyrtti Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I just got a nice '92 Streamer Stage II.

I use it for pop, metal and noise. Wonderful instrument.

It changed the overall sound of at least the pop and the metal group that I play with. And everybody else agrees that it was for the better... (Yes, they DID say that) :)