Warwick users: which Streamer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peteroberts, Nov 1, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about getting yet another Warwick... I have a Streamer LX and I love it. I was wondering, is it worth the extra bread to get a Stage I or Stage II? Jazzman? What's the diff? Which one do you like?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    those are really different basses.

here are the specs of the currently made Streamers:

being an owner of the Stremer LX you have a great bass. can you please explain why you feel the urge to have another one? are you looking for different number of strings? different sounds? this can help us a lot. as you see Streamers are made in different woods, different construction and different pickups configurations, things these that make them a lot different sounding.

i have a jazzman IV but i have tried their entire line up. if you need more specific iformation feel free to ask!
  3. I'm just thinking about having another one, for different tones maybe. I listen to Incubus and I really like Dirk Lance's tone, I know he uses a Streamer of some sort.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    are you going to go for a different amount of strings? if not, i might go for something like a used ProM or jazzman to get a different tonal range. for a 4 string i'd recommend the ss1, and for a 5 i'd recommend the ss2.

but the SS1/SS2 are absolutely positively worth the extra money. ss2 5 string is my favorite bass ever.
  5. cool, that's what I was looking for Warwick5S... I'll keep a lookout for some Stage IIs.
  6. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    If you like Dirk Lance's sound, i'd go for a pickup change first. He plays a Streamer Stage II (5 string) with Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups. You can go to the basslines site and find out exactly what pickups and EQ he has. then e-mail them to see what config they think would give you the same kind of sound while also fitting into your LX's control cavity and pickup spaces (I checked this option about a little while ago, but i'm broke). If you do decide to get a new bass, go for the SS II and change out the pickups, from what I understand (although I have never tries an SSII with basslines) the pickup upgrade will make your sound ORGASMICLY GOOD!!!!

Good luck with your quest,

P.S.-try to PM a fellow TBer with the nick "Woodchuck" (i think) and tell hi to check out this thread... he seems to be quite an expert about Warwicks and how they sound with basslines.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    actually, the MEC pickups are pretty nice IMO, it's the preamp that sucks sweaty donkey balls. an SSII with a demeter, u-retro, or basslines preamp would rock SOOO hard.

however, i'm wiring mine with passive tone controls in a week or so (because the preamp sucks so bad i have it bypassed all the time, but i still want a tone control - and i don't have the bank for a u-retro right now.) i'll let you know how it sounds :)
  8. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002

9. thanks folks. I do know Woodchuck, but he is busy recording in LA right now and is not answering my PMs! Whats up with that Woodchuck?!?
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I believe Woody said he'd report back when done!

I love both the SSI5 and SSII5. I chose the SSI5 (used, '98, w/Basslines) because I don't care for narrow string spacing. But the LX is cool too... great value for the $$.
  11. I chose the Streamer Stage II...fell in love with the seven piece neck, JJ pickups and the ying/yang inlays. It's been a great bass. :D
  12. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I played a Stage II with EMG's a while back. SWEEEET bass.
  13. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Late input here, but I'll go ahead and put in my 2 cents worth...
    I currently own a 98 Streamer I-5 w/Basslines, and it's one of the favorites of the 52 basses I've tried over the past 7 years. It's especially good for funk, but offers tight, solid, clean rock tones, and can provide nice jazz tones from the bridge p/up. A little heavy, but that weight adds punch, and the wide necks on the Stage I's feel great to me.
    I had Stage II-4 that was awesome -- fantastic fundamental from the afzelia body. the slim yet chunky neck felt wonderful and fast. the mec pre-amps are noisy, but do provide some great lows. I would have kept it, but needed a 5 and traded it for the stage 1-5.
    I've found I cant handle a tight spacing on any warwick 5 (most of the 4's are 3/4" spacing - perfect for my long fingers). for me, one of my ultimate 5 choices would be a stage II-5 with a wide neck, but the I-5 comes pretty close.
    Personally, most of the lower end warwicks i've tried are terrible. to each his own..
    The pre-95 warwicks are generally better. so if you can find an old streamer 2, i think you would be in heaven! my stage 2-4 was a 2000, still a killer nonetheless...
    the original question: "is it worth the extra dough for a stage 1 or 2?" ... Hell yeah!!!
  14. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    i want a stage 2 sooo bad :(